---- What are some great songs that have silly nonsense lyrics?

Visconti

• Members

I Dig A Pony.

I love this song. :o

[video=youtube;0ZWXtSIl0gk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZWXtSIl0gk

I dig a pony

Well you can celebrate anything you want

Yes you can celebrate anything you want

Ooh

I do a road hog

Well you can penetrate any place you go

Yes you can penetrate any place you go

I told you so

All I want is you

Everything has got to be just like you want it to

Because-

I pick a moon dog

Well you can radiate everything you are

Yes you can radiate everything you are

Oh now

I roll a stoney

Well you can imitate everyone you know

Yes you can imitate everyone you know

I told you so

All I want is you

Because-

I feel the wind blow

Well you can indicate everything you see

Yes you can indicate anything you see

Oh now

I load a lorry

Well you can syndicate any boat you row

Yeah you can syndicate any boat you row

I told you so

All I want is you

Because-

• Members

My sense is Stupid Nonsense Lyrics come out of the Folk Music tradition (Jimmy Crack Corn, Banana Boat Song...) and I think no one gets More Blame or Credit for making them Modern Staple of Popular Song than Bob Dylan. I think they were great in 50s novelty songs but he gave everybody permission to use stupid half-assed word games in a straight-faced way and pop music in my opinion has suffered for it, particularly in the 90s when grungers took being abstract as excuse to be lazy. But Some nonsense word songs from across the popular song spectrum I always dug:

Louie Louie - I mean, come, on. Best in Class hands down. Then there's: Surfin Bird, You Know My Name (Look up the Number), Helter Skelter, Mahna Mahna, La La Love You, You Can't Roller Skate in a Buffalo Herd, Loser (Un Perdidor), Subterranean Homesick Blues, CannonBall (Breeders), Be Bop a LuLa, Mellow Yellow, Hi Lilli Hi-Lo, Rock Island Line (Lonnie Donegan Version - "ABC WXYC Cat's In the Cupboard But He Don't See Me" - totally Bitchin), Mule Skinner Blues - Fendermen.... Yellow Ledbetter, which I put in league with Louie Louie in terms of intent and follow-through, and pretty much any hit song or kick-ass deep album cut by two of my top-Five bands of all time: T. Rex and Oasis.

I also really, really like Nonsense Word songs when the nonsense is being used to disguise something really kind of effed up or crooked - Lola by Kinks (she's a dude...), Polly by Nirvana (Rape), Alive by Pearl Jam (Mom-on-Son action), P.Y.T. - PRetty Young Thing (Official Nambla Theme Song, courtesy of Michael Jackson).... DOh!!!

Archived