Thursday's Premature Inspiration - 12-22-11

Lee Knight

• Moderators

I may be unable to get to a computer tomorrow, or maybe not, but rather than risk missing this oh so integral part of mine and your life...

So... I am a heathen with regard to "religion". Though quite "spiritual" as they say in bars and Facebook profiles. But that wasn't always the case. Music was huge for me early on because of religion. Singing in our boys choir 40 freaking years ago, looking a lot like that kid in my avatar minus the cig and martini, though I think I had the goatee and 'stache then. Dressed in a red gown with a pure white smock pulled over. My book open in a manner echoing portraits of choir singers who had gone before me. Spread hands respectfully cradling the song book, a thing of power and immense worth.

My piety was heartfelt that midnight mass up in the choir loft. More than heartfelt, it was a painful and joyous pining. I was hearing the angel voices. Singing O Holy Night

Since that night, my favorite Christmas song. Looking down the length of our church from that choir loft, putting me eye level with a crucified Jesus Christ who towered over the congregation. His eyes drooping with pain, sorrow and forgiveness. And I was singing for Him.

It was so beautiful, it was painful. Merry Christmas.

[video=youtube;tiT5FFiOBH0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiT5FFiOBH0

• Moderators

And for balance. How things went through the 80's and into the early 90's. Good friends here. The Reverend Country Dick now gone. And Mark Spriggs, my drummer and friend (not playing here but same group of friends), gone 2 years, 2 days ago.

My baby's all LIQUORED UP!

[video=youtube;3G9H1mZBULw]

• Members

Friday influences? How about the producers?

For instance, Roy Halee:

[video=youtube;AdKjEHfHINQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdKjEHfHINQ

Brilliant, murderous nutjob Phil Spector:

[video=youtube;H4jVZ1hCrDA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4jVZ1hCrDA

Brilliant, but loveable nutjob, Brian Wilson:

[video=youtube;s0F_98265uw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0F_98265uw&feature=related

By the way, drums on all 3 tracks? Hal Blaine.

LCK

• Members

The year is 1963, and this writer was a young lad of 16 living in South Africa at the time.

He was in his 1st band, and it was some months before those Liverpool lads released their 1st album.

We were still playing all the late 50's and early 60's numbers at our gigs then.

At the same time there was a local band called Dicky Loader and the Blue Jeans who were, as you will hear, sound very much a Cliff and the Shads clone.

But to give them their due, they started recording in 1960, so they had established themselves on a similar type of music that Cliff and the Shads had.

They did it pretty well though, and seeing them live, they were an influence on how we conducted ourselves musically and as entertainers.

The lead guitarist, Graham Beggs, became a record producer a couple of years later, heard us play, and signed us up.

We only ever had one single released before the band broke up.

Anyway, this is a bit of nostalgia for an oldgitplayer who was once a teenager.

The number remained in the SA Charts longer than any other number before it.

[video=youtube;2S5h5xSlngA]

• Moderators

Friday influences? How about the producers?

For instance, Roy Halee:

Brilliant, murderous nutjob Phil Spector:

Brilliant, but loveable nutjob, Brian Wilson:

By the way, drums on all 3 tracks? Hal Blaine.

LCK

A subject close to my heart. Producers, and more specially, those three producers. And that one drummer.

Another from that same Halee/Blaine/S & G session. This track always makes me feel good. It's funny and funky and awesome. The thing that kills me about this track is the humor in the playing. Without doing anything silly, it grooves with a smirk. Or more a goofy smile on the verge of busting up.

[video=youtube;LPthjsBCk0o]

• Members

A subject close to my heart. Producers, and more specially,
those
three producers. And that one drummer.

Another from that same Halee/Blaine/S & G session.

I love that whole album.

By the way, you might think you're familiar with "Good Vibrations," but the version I posted is longer, with melodic and vocal elements you might not have heard before.

LCK

Archived