Another time

Back when we remembered to laugh

I'll put it on the bedside table

A little dusty and the frame's unstable

A lost unspoken fable waiting to unfurl

Lost World

• Members

Good theme for a modern country song.

I don't think the bridge and chorus are jiving. The bridge seems to imply this is a person you've long forgotten. Putting that on the bedside table is more than a little creepy. I might be reading it wrong. It could be the person in the picture is the one you ended up with. If that is the case, it could stand to be clearer.

Also 'fable' and 'unfurl' might not be everyman enough for a modern country song.

• Moderators

Good points. ^ The girl in the photo is the one who got away. His ex wife maybe? He finds the photo and... gets a boner I guess? :) Now its creepy!!!

But... putting it out is creepy huh? Maybe he's just holding it and looking at it as he goes through a stack of old pictures.

Fable and unfurl are bad anyway you look at it. they gotta go. Good stuff Mr. R.

• Moderators

I kinda like that^

I'm playing with making the chorus very general and having the verse develop so the chorus takes on a different shade each time. That's the idea anyway.

I tried this:

Lost World

A forgotten photograph

Another time, another better half

And I like ^ that, but it gives it away that there's his main source of interest in the forefront of the photo. The bonerlisous babe. Talk of old Fords and the fields in the photo but really... I want that to be the zinger. Palming forehead and exclaiming, "Aha! There's his old chick in the photo! I get it!"

• Moderators

Lost World

A forgotten photograph

Another time, another path

Ah, the things that coulda been

All the dreams that lied within this...

Lost World

Lost World

A forgotten photograph

All the things that coulda been

All the mem'ries that hide within this...

Lost World

?

• Moderators

Lost World

A forgotten photograph

Ah, the things that coulda been

Mem'ries still hide the dreams that lied

Lost World

I missed this in my latherd up and frothy, foaming at the gob writing state. That's good, I need to mess with that a bit.... hmmm...

• Members

Lost World

A forgotten photograph

All the things that coulda been

The
reflections
that hide within this...

Lost World

^??^

A neat concept I never thought of is when you look at a framed picture, the reflection you see is the present which is the future relative to when the picture was taken.

There is a song in there somewhere

• Members

I like the direction you've taken with the lyric. (I read the first draft earlier this morning, before any one else posted.) But I'm not sure "Lost World" cuts it as a modern-country song title.

I think most everything else works quite well, but "Lost World" as a label doesn't sell the product.

Know what I mean?

I wish I could think of an alternative, but so far, I got nothing...

LCK

• Moderators

I like the direction you've taken with the lyric. (I read the first draft earlier this morning, before any one else posted.)
But I'm not sure "Lost World" cuts it as a modern-country song title.

I think most everything else works quite well, but "Lost World" as a label doesn't sell the product.

Know what I mean?

I wish I could think of an alternative, but so far, I got nothing...

LCK

"But I'm not sure "Lost World" cuts it as a modern-country song title."

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's funny, I wrote to the title too. I was reading some history last night and the term Lost World came up. I made a mental note to write a song tomorrow morning over work's first cup of coffee. About a guy finding a photo of an ex and him and it being his lost world. His old truck, their yard, and them, arm in arm. I'd lay out bit by bit the things he misses in the photo in reverse order of import. The whole deal was sketched out in my mind.

Like he could dive into that world again somehow by just remembering. Now, with the lyric laid out, the title may not even fit. Funny. Then again... I hear this melody that just might sell that phrase and bring a sense of resonance to the term of his lost world...

Ideas on an alternative title anyone, or are we liking Lost World? Do I need to tighten the connection between the title and the action in the verses?

On the other hand, I am kinda digging the feel and flow and off kilter rhythm of the whole thing... the measured exposition. ???

• Members

Like he could dive into that world again somehow by just remembering. Now, with the lyric laid out, the title may not even fit. Funny. Then again... I hear this melody that just might sell that phrase and bring a sense of resonance to the term of his lost world...

I don't know what to tell you. Country writers have a knack for coming up with stuff that resonates perfectly with their audience. I mean, who woulda thunk you could make a hit song about a red plastic Solo cup? Yet there is, in the subtext of that song lyric, a deep connection to community, friends, family, not to mention partying and drinking beer. All country music staples.

I hate Toby Keith, just on general principles, but this song is great!

[video=youtube;BKZqGJONH68]

So going down that dirt road, what do country music fans feel they've lost? A world? Heck no.

You might could give 'em a list of losses, ending with lost world: lost love, lost farm, lost world.

Sumpin' like that might fly.

LCK

• Members

I like the lyric and loathe modern country. If something has to go, let it be the genre.

ALL of modern country? Some of my favorite artists are modern country artists. Or are you just talking about contemporary radio country? Because the genre is way more broad and diverse than just that.

Archived