Scale for Erik Satie "Gynopedie No. 1"?

jemmus

• Members

'Lo friends,

Anyone know what scale the melody line of Erik Satie's "Gymnopedie No. 1" is built around? (This time, I want to learn a song the easier way, instead of reinventing the wheel and picking out the notes by ear).:)

• Members

Well... it's not really a songwriting issue [i'm the this on-topic-only forum's mod] but let's see if anyone has time to figure that out for you.

I note from the Wikipedia article on the pieces, that the answer may not be a particularly straightforward one...

The
Gymnop

• Members

Thanks much buds. I'll see what I can do playing around with G and D scales. Trying to do a little music theory self-teaching here. (Sorry if this was an off-topic post.) : )

Not to worry. They just have me here to keep people from coming in and asking for the chords to Rebecca Black's "Friday." ;)

And, you know... how could I not try to give a brother a hand who's got a Porter Wagoner album for his avatar. :thu:

Finally, if you're looking for some reading for a cold winter's night, you could check out the first post in our Guidelines/Resources sticky, which lays out the basic operating principles around this somewhat different forum.

• Members

Not to worry. They just have me here to keep people from coming in and asking for the chords to Rebecca Black's "Friday."
;)

And, you know... how could I not try to give a brother a hand who's got a Porter Wagoner album for his avatar.
:thu:

Finally, if you're looking for some reading for a cold winter's night, you could check out the first post in our
Guidelines/Resources
sticky, which lays out the basic operating principles around this somewhat different forum.

I'm just saying, Blue, if there is anyway we could let this turn into a Porter Wagner appreciation thread, I'd be ok with it. You know, FWIW.

• Members

As long as it didn't start that way, I'm thinking it's cool. ;)

But, just for jemmus' sake -- since he is new here -- normally we reserve our adulation for other artists to the Friday Influences Threads (you'll see this week's bobbing around). We -- actually, our homie, Lee, here, as a rule -- start a new one each week and people post interesting influences, stuff they've been listening to during the week, even, occasionally, stuff that influences them negatively.

Between the F.I.T.'s and the Monthly Showcase threads, we manage to have a couple places for most of the stuff that doesn't fit our otherwise moderately tight on-topic rules. (Basically, discussions of songwriting topics and requests for feedback on works in progress are the main things we start threads for. It might seem a little 'stiff' at first, but it keeps the focus on songwriting, pretty much.)

• Members

I'm just saying, Blue, if there is anyway we could let this turn into a Porter Wagner appreciation thread, I'd be ok with it. You know, FWIW.

I just had a listen to Porter Waggoner's The Rubber Room on YouTube.

How did I ever miss that song?

I had to be real careful. I almost spit coffee all over my iPad scree laughing.

Archived