Friday Influences Thread! Yes! FEB 03-12!

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Exciting! Isn't it? ! Post it. Share it. Expound on it, if it is your way.

-------

Julia Nunes. Let me count the ways. Her sheer love of music. Uke/YouTube phenom. Her covers are all great. From Brian's God Only Knows to Destiny Child's Survivor. All done with a disarmingly pure joy of music. I love her. Jeez, I'd pay her college tuition if I had the means.

And now to her first major release. It's not perfect. What's wrong with it? Nothing's wrong with it, but... maybe... they missed the opportunity to let her simple charm and good vibes shine. I think it'll come. Anyway...

...Stay Awake is by no means a major league choke. And considering she really has only just started writing due to the uke cover craze... I'm looking forward to seeing her grow into solid writer who can let her heart show again. A bit more. I want her to win.

From this:

[video=youtube;rgevBTjKfZE]

To this:

[video=youtube;JVPdPwOeO9Q]

To this:

[video=youtube;K9A3fupyjsk]

• Moderators

Oh... and all week I've been doing this over and over and over.

When she said, "Don't waste your words, they're just lies"

I cried she was deaf!

And she worked on my face until breaking my eyes

Then said, "What else you got left"

It was then that I got up to leave

But she said, "Don't forget

Everybody must give something back

For something they get"

Blonde On Blonde on repeat

pknzgsohexxpsghk.jpg

• Members

Julia Nunes. Let me count the ways. Her sheer love of music. Uke/YouTube phenom. Her covers are all great. From Brian's God Only Knows to Destiny Child's Survivor. All done with an disarmingly pure joy of music. I love her. Jeez, I'd pay her college tuition if I had the means.

Nice. (I checked out her versions of "God Only Knows" and "Where Did Our Love Go?" too.)

For some reason I was thinking about this song the other day, a tune that kind of came out of nowhere and landed pretty hard, especially when you consider how un-rocklike the rest of their oeuvre turned out to be.

[video=youtube;ro3BC-e_XPo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro3BC-e_XPo

LCK

• Moderators

I worked for a singer/writer who loved The Association. I would tease him and make fun of them and their music and their look. I just pretty much despised what they did. And then one day I loved them. Still do.

Same thing happened with the 5th Dimension.

• Members

LCK

How could a bass player not like this?

Wow, I seem persnickity this morning. More coffee is in order...

...much better.

After spending some more time in the studio, I guess the biggest influence for me this week would be gear. It was great to sit down in front of a U-87 with a band that had never played together before and nail a song in an hour. It sounds pretty good too!

And this feels appropriate

[video=youtube;KRxS7Q64xUQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRxS7Q64xUQ

...I moody all the morning

Mourning all the night

And in between it's nicotine

And not too much hard fight...

• Members

I worked for a singer/writer who loved The Association.

The song was written by a guy from Hennepin, Minnesota named Tandyn Almer.

He's also listed as co-writer on some Beach Boys songs.

Some think that the Mary in the song's title refers to marijuana. Oddly enough, Almer holds a patent on a water pipe (bong) called the "Slave Master." (Thanks, Wikipedia!)

LCK

• Moderators

How could a bass player not like this?

Was that ^ for me and my comments on the Association? I guess I was having a hard time getting past this:

[video=youtube;NwAjGsuyF2M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwAjGsuyF2M

that always made me want to punch something pasty, white and fleshy, with a bad haircut. I'm much kinder and gentler now.

I even like that now, but there was a time... but hey, I love Along Comes Mary now. It's a cool tune and arrangement. Plus I'll always love my Slave Master bong.

• Moderators

I'm kind of over youtubes of girls playing ukulele covers.

^ Totally. I'm sure in some ways she wishes she didn't play the uke anymore. Probably time to let it go. But I can see why she let that thing bleed over into her "big" project. Gotta take what's worked so far. Listen to the second video, I'll Be Back. Sans uke.

• Members

^ Totally. I'm sure in some ways she wishes she didn't play the uke anymore. Probably time to let it go. But I can see why she let that thing bleed over into her "big" project. Gotta take what's worked so far. Listen to the second video, I'll Be Back. Sans uke.

That was my favorite of the 3 you posted.

• Moderators

I remember that movie coming out and a friend frothing at the mouth over it. As he described it I thought, "Eh... sounds kinda lame". Of course, I didn't account for the fact that the music might be great. It is. GREAT. That was quite an experience seeing, hearing and feeling that movie.

• Members

WOW, talk about an inspiration. Like Instant Karma? Instant Inspiration.

I've been needing a melodic variation in my The Day I Lost Myself. The very first line he sings. At 0:19, in a minor key

Now and then I think of
when
we
were together

If we're in Em, the words "when" and "we" really struck me. I hadn't heard that interval sung a lot. So in Em it'd be the notes D (when) A (we), or a 7th to a 4th. Wow. I really like that and without stealing any melody I will be lifting that interval for my prechorus/truncated verse.
:)
On an Em chord with D bass.

And this below is really bitchen.

Have you also noticed the bizarre "baa baa black sheep" lift in the intro melody?

• Members

I was not prepared to like something carrying this kind of name.

I do like it, though.

LCK

:rawk:

They have a handful of albums out, some way louder and noisier than others. Most of them aren't really for me, but Howl, the whole thing, is an amazing record. The live footage floating around youtube, even of these songs, tends to be pretty brash, but the production on this particular album is fantastic. I really like the whole thing, but 'Fault Line,' 'Gospel Song,' 'Complicated Situation,' and 'Sympathetic Noose' are all stand out stand outs.

• Members

I've been listening to this a lot. Oswelek first introduced me (and the forum) to the talents of Lizzy Loeb. Her dad is Chuck Loeb, a fairly-well known jazz guitarist; her mother is a Spanish jazz singer.

Lizzy writes some of her own tunes, but I really dig her on this Hoagy Carmichael/Johnny Mercer classic.

[video=youtube;cnW1hmsIg7c]

And I don't know who's playing the organ, but I love him (or her) too!

LCK

Archived