The Empty Side of the Bed (Full version)

rickidoo

• Members

I love that "beeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhd" bit, seriously sweet, especially when you add the electric counter.

The rest of it sounds like a Rutles tune. If you aren't familiar with them, it is a hilarious Monty Python spoof on the Beatles, and they write a bunch of solid tunes that are spinoffs on familiar Fab Four hits.

[video=youtube;jqiXh7w7N_w]

[video=youtube;TFP32Crv6F4]

[video=youtube;RS73iuwxA7M]

Anyway, I think you need to do something to pull away from the "trying to mimic the Beatles" vibe of the verses. While I am always open to a sad lyric/happy melody marriage, it feels too stark in its contrast, so some hints of discord would be useful.

Lastly, and I know this isn't a writing issue, but I am left with the feeling once again that you are a much better singer than you give yourself credit for. A lot of the issues I hear are those of hesitance or confidence. Let it fly and I think you'll be surprised at the results.

• Members

@Oswlek - thanks for taking the time to listen and comment, including the videos for the rutles.

I recall the rutles movie, and basically their songs had the sound of the beatles and none of the heart of the beatles. Basically, their songs were crap from about every angle one could imagine.

I (re) started writing songs last June, and have probably written some 30 or so songs since then. Not once did I think about purposely making the song sound like anyone, paul and the beatles included. Yet I have heard that comment seemingly 100 times. So much so that I cringe now everytime it is said. And now with the comparison to the inferior music of the ruttles... well.. maybe I am just kidding myself.

And the funny thing is, with the exception of using some classic instruments like orchestra strings, trumpets, etc, which the beatles often used, I don't hear any connection between my songs and theirs. And that's the heart of the problem. I am absolutely clueless as to the connection between the verses of this song (empty side of the bed) and the beatles. So for me to write differently becomes pretty problematic. It's like telling a blind person "hey! stop imagining green and imagine red!"

I do love the classical instruments, and am waiting for when they come back into public conscious for popular music. I don't want to stop using them.

I responded to one of stick's challenges in december, and "created" a song called "On the Day I lost Myself, I found You". Instead of writing a new song, I spliced the melodies from two song snippets I had done around 1970. Then just added some fun lyrics and played with some instruments. I mean I was 14 or 15 when I wrote those. Then somene tells me it sounds like Paul McCartney!!!! Yikes!

I'm not venting at you or upset, I'm maybe a little frustrated at this whole paul/beatles and my songs thing. I wish I could just change something in the way I write or record to make all of that go away. (with the exception of the classical instruments... love them too much...)

Rick

• Members

Rick, I think the heart of the problem lies here:

I recall the rutles movie, and basically their songs had the sound of the beatles and none of the heart of the beatles. Basically, their songs were crap from about every angle one could imagine.

I completely disagree. Many of their songs, including the ones I posted here, are good. Excellent even. There are worse things you could sound like than the Beatles. Funny enough, I find myself singing their song "Ouch!" more often than the original "Help!". :)

Just take it for what it is. At 30 songs in, you are just a babe in the songwriting realm, so there is no reason to beat yourself up when influences manifest themselves. Just make note of it and move on, you'll notice your sound changing over time, especially if you continually expose yourself to more styles.

If you really can't shake it, start doing ridiculous stuff that you wouldn't normally do, just to see what happens. Most often it sucks, but occassionally a wonderous nuggest pops out. Almost every song I've recorded has a "mistake" in it somewhere that was better than what I was going for.

• Members

The rest of it sounds like a Rutles tune. If you aren't familiar with them, it is a hilarious Monty Python spoof on the Beatles, and they write a bunch of solid tunes that are spinoffs on familiar Fab Four hits.

Factual note: Neil Innes -- the main creative force behind The Rutles -- was originally a member of the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.And the Bonzos were a major influence on post-Revolver Beatles' music.

LCK

• Members

One other thing, perhaps my favorite writer on this forum (no offense to anyone else) is Bee. And this is true despite every creation sounding like the bastard love child of John Lennon and David Gilmour. And it is quite clear what era LCK's creative voice lives in.

We are all influenced and there is no reason to not embrace it. I just pointed it out this time because it really sounded like a Rutles experiment, as if you were copping a sound rather than simply being influenced by it. Typically, I hear some qualities but not quite this strong.

• Members

@Oswlek -
thanks for taking the time to listen and comment, including the videos for the rutles.

I (re) started writing songs last June, and have probably written some 30 or so songs since then. Not once did I think about purposely making the song sound like anyone, paul and the beatles included. Yet I have heard that comment seemingly 100 times. So much so that I cringe now everytime it is said. And now with the comparison to the inferior music of the ruttles... well.. maybe I am just kidding myself.

And the funny thing is, with the exception of using some classic instruments like orchestra strings, trumpets, etc, which the beatles often used, I don't hear any connection between my songs and theirs. And that's the heart of the problem. I am absolutely clueless as to the connection between the verses of this song (empty side of the bed) and the beatles. So for me to write differently becomes pretty problematic. It's like telling a blind person "hey! stop imagining green and imagine red!"

I do love the classical instruments, and am waiting for when they come back into public conscious for popular music. I don't want to stop using them.

I responded to one of stick's challenges in december, and "created" a song called "
". Instead of writing a new song, I spliced the melodies from two song snippets I had done around 1970. Then just added some fun lyrics and played with some instruments. I mean I was 14 or 15 when I wrote those. Then somene tells me it sounds like Paul McCartney!!!! Yikes!

I'm not venting at you or upset, I'm maybe a little frustrated at this whole paul/beatles and my songs thing. I wish I could just change something in the way I write or record to make all of that go away. (with the exception of the classical instruments... love them too much...)

Rick

I have to say, with regard to this. I may have also mentioned the beatles-esque sounds in your songs (for me its usually the musical interludes - WHICH I LOVE) but really i dont hear direct beatles parody or rip off ever in your songs. I know people on here have said to you "that song IS (insert beatles song) but really I dont hear it.

Ive had comments from various places saying i sometimes sound like certain people (the beatles included) but really i dont hear it.

Just keep doing what youre doing, its fabulous and always puts a smile on my face.

I'd personally take it as a massive compliment to be compared to one of the biggest bands in music history

• Members

@Stick - thanks!

@LCK - I did not know that! Thank you!

@Oswlek - you said something that caught my eye and made me cheer:

"If you really can't shake it, start doing ridiculous stuff that you wouldn't normally do, just to see what happens. Most often it sucks, but occasionally a wondrous nugget pops out. Almost every song I've recorded has a "mistake" in it somewhere that was better than what I was going for. "

.. I cheered because I recognized a GREAT idea to put into my songwriting regimen. A really cool way to foster growth. Now, when I am writing a song, I'm going to ask myself, ok, "what new (and potentially wild) thing (that I have not done before) can I put in this song to make it better."

I took the liberty of placing your quote in my songwriting insights thread!

I sincerely think it is an insight worth doing every time.

Fantastic!

Rick

• Members

Just take it for what it is. At 30 songs in, you are just a babe in the songwriting realm, so there is no reason to beat yourself up when influences manifest themselves. Just make note of it and move on, you'll notice your sound changing over time, especially if you continually expose yourself to more styles.

I'm sure you probably don't mean it but that is soooooo condescending ..There's no sudden heirachy to be assumed by number -of-songs written in my world..

Everyone should be judged equally on the song they're doing

The empty side of the bed is a magical hook both lyrically n melodically..Effortless,intuitive n suprising.The songs got a wonderful dreamy vibe and flows really naturally n freely..I don't hear anything this quality in say modern country from people who might've written 10,000 songs for all i know

• Members

I'm sure you probably don't mean it but that is
soooooo
condescending ..There's no sudden heirachy to be assumed by number -of-songs written in my world..

Everyone should be judged equally on the song they're doing

The empty side of the bed is a magical hook both lyrically n melodically..Effortless,intuitive n suprising.The songs got a wonderful dreamy vibe and flows really naturally n freely..I don't hear anything this quality in say modern country from people who might've written 10,000 songs for all i know

I think the thing with Ricks music is that its certainly got a distinct style, this may not be to everyones taste.

Personally i love everything he does and whilst number of songs may not be a factor.... i have to say, the songs are getting better and better.

• Members

@Oswlek -
thanks for taking the time to listen and comment, including the videos for the rutles.

I responded to one of stick's challenges in december, and "created" a song called "
On the Day I lost Myself, I found You
". Instead of writing a new song, I spliced the melodies from two song snippets I had done around 1970. Then just added some fun lyrics and played with some instruments. I mean I was 14 or 15 when I wrote those. Then somene tells me it sounds like Paul McCartney!!!! Yikes!

Rick

Cheer up, people used to always tell me I reminded them of Tom Petty. I figured they meant that in some sort of complimentary way but it really started getting me down. I mean, I own one TP record (the first) and saw him (and enjoyed the show, to be sure) once, in 1976 or '77 or so. And then I moved on. I thought. ;)

This has a good feel. If anything reminds me of the you-know-whos, it's the cello/strings sounds. But I like them. Also, the tight, doubling echo on the vocal reminds me of some of the vocal treatments on the angry member of the you-know-whos, since you were wondering about the clues to what makes folks think of that long ago band. All that being said, I don't think it's any kind of problem. And neither this track nor any of your other efforts I've heard have reminded me of any particular you-know-whos song.

And, with regard to the Rutles, I, too, am something of a fan. I mean, yes, their songs are often quite direct parodies but I think they're often fabulously well done -- and really funny.

However, I think a better parallel here would be XTC's Dukes of the Stratosphear alter ego band. Their game there has been to explore the sometimes more subtle aspects of what gave some of the classic 60s tracks their vibe. It's not that any given song by the Dukes sounds like a specific song by Pink Floyd or the you-know-whos, but they often sound like they could be a lost track by same.

Anyhow, good stuff!

Archived