"The Cruciverbalist's Daughter" - sketch for a new song, anything here?

LCK

• Members

I give Rickidoo some Loudon Wainwright songs to listen to, as he was looking for songwriters known for their clever wordplay, and he's one of the clever-erest.

As a result, this title popped into my head, and I quickly sketched out the beginnings of a lyric.

It's certainly odd, and quite cerebral, I guess. But other than that, could it go somewhere?

"The Cruciverbalist

• Members

"Both of us working in pen." Great line. The firm certainty of knowing you are right.

I can't wait to hear you sing this song. It looks like it would be a hard lyric to sing.

I'm still trying to decide whether I like the double entendre in the last line ("finishing first").

:thu:

• Members

It certainly has potential to be an interesting tune. The trick, I think, will be to create music that is equally quirky and as different as the lyrics. If you can pull that off, the lyric and music will really bounce off of each other yielding a very special song.

Rick

• Members

It certainly has potential to be an interesting tune. The trick, I think, will be to create music that is equally quirky and as different as the lyrics. If you can pull that off, the lyric and music will really bounce off of each other yielding a very special song.

Rick

What he said. I think you may need to stray from your jazz stylings to pull this off...

That said, I love this part:

I wish I could love a simple girl,

who gets stumped at one across.

Who mixes up her nouns and verbs,

who has no love for arcane words

Seems deeply personal... like you're incapable of doing such a thing. ;)

• Members

What he said. I think you may need to stray from your jazz stylings to pull this off...

That said, I love this part:

I wish I could love a simple girl,

who gets stumped at one across.

Who mixes up her nouns and verbs,

who has no love for arcane words

Seems deeply personal... like you're incapable of doing such a thing.
;)

I keep thinking about you sitting there doing a crossword puzzle, and using words like 'prosody' and 'counterpoint' while she struggles with 'a shape with three sides' or something like that.

• Members

I keep thinking about you sitting there doing a crossword puzzle, and using words like 'prosody' and 'counterpoint' while she struggles with 'a shape with three sides' or something like that.

In my scenario she wouldn't even do crossword puzzles. She'd have no interest, which would be what attracts this guy to her. Meanwhile, he's always feeling like he's in competition with the other girl.

Thanks for giving me the confidence to possibly develop this idea a little further.

Oh, and yeah, although this is a love song it would kind of be in the category of a couple of others I've done here, "The Life of the Human Body," and "Philo's Tune," -- where I don't exactly know what the genre is. Paul Simon has done a few songs like this, I think, sort of. And Loudon Wainwright III is certainly an influence as well.

LCK

• Members

BTW, if you don't know, a cruciverbalist is someone who creates crossword puzzles.

Uh... yeah... thanks for that :facepalm:

This one snuck up on me a little. It was a nice little lyric until I reached the end when it struck a deeper chord and made me go back and see the rest differently. The only thing I didn't initially dig is this:

five letters down, starting with

• Members

I like it. It actually makes more sense than Bee's lady who only does the crossword using words that she likes.

I did the crossword in the newspaper every day for many years but I've gotten out of that habit. It's basically a single, closed set of name-value pairs per cruciverbalist. Once you get that set of name-value pairs stored in memory the crossword becomes trivial, but if you switch to a moderately dificult crossword by a different creator you are back to almost square one, because you have to rebuild the whole signifier/sign vocabulary. The name portion of the pair also gets quite dated - it has some bearing on a shared social context, but that context seems to be based on current events from 50-60 years ago. Sometimes I'll do the Sunday acrostic; if the quotation is nice solving it can be satisfying.

My dad has been doing the Times of London's Cryptic Crossword every night before he goes to sleep for ~70 years now. I can't solve any of those clues at all.

Apparently, being able to complete the Daily Telegraph crossword puzzle in under 12 minutes was sufficient qualification to be part of the British WWII codebreaking operation.

• Members

I love it. Great writing so far.

I love you too

Fruit grown in the Mediterranean = Olive

Irish rock band fronted by Bono = U2

Olive U2

Cool. I might use that, except I've never seen a two-letter answer in a crossword before.

Maybe?

"Giaconda's home, with 'The'" six letters, third letter "U."

Up from "U," four letters, "Cook Islands reef."

Hmmm, the Giaconda is the Mona Lisa,

The Mona Lisa's in The Louvre, the reef might be "Ootu."

"If so," she said, "it seems I Louvre Ootu."

And thanks for the positive reinforcement. I was really wondering if I'd lost it last night.

Apparently not...

But then again, maybe so...?

LCK

• Members

The crossword references are very fun and inventive and engaging. I just don't know where to peg the relationships.

Good point. And once I've worked out the lyric a bit more, it should be much clearer.

The basic story is that the guy is in a long-term relationship with someone whose father creates crossword puzzles. When the guy first met her and fell in love, he thought this connection was cool because he's a crossword lover. But he finds out that he and she are too much alike, and that he's always in a competition, both with her, and with her cruciverbalist father.

The snippets I wrote the other night were done off the top of my head. This one has a long way to go.

LCK

• Members

Don't have time to look it up right now, but I know that Stephen Sondheim is a huge crossword puzzle fan and I'm pretty sure he has written a song on this subject.

I know he's written some crossword puzzles, but I don't think he's written a song about them.

Wouldn't surprise me, though.

LCK

• Members

FWIW, those relationships were what I got out of it. Being in bed with the Cru...(whatever) would make me think of lying with an older man. Not that there is anything wrong with that, of course, and it may say more about me that I don't picture a young woman writing crosswords.

Carry on...

• Members

Very telling that the daughter married someone who is just like her father.

Discussing the father daughter relationship and how that colors the narrator's romantic relationship could be insightful.

Yeah, I think that's the crux (so to speak) of the story.

If I can pull it off, of course...

LCK

• Members

Yeah, I think that's the crux (so to speak) of the story.

If I can pull it off, of course...

LCK

I think you can.

Have you determined what the story is yet?

Does she despise her father? Does she love him?

Does she realize the narrator is just like him?

This is such a great idea for a song.

A fun way to end it might be for the narrator to realize she is worth it and he doesn't want to continue fighting over who finishes the crossword first so the last line is something along the lines of "I'll just do Sudoku instead."

Archived