Blue Melody (February Challenge) - music added

bee3

• Members

But this is a songwriting forum. Why spend all that time on production when you haven't actually finished writing the song? That's your first job.

-LCK

That is sig worthy.

A lot of times I only realize what I still need to complete in the songwriting when I start working out the production. Ditto for performance. You've gotta serve your master. :idk:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know there is more appropriate forums for this kind of question, but I thought I'd bury it in here where B2B won't see it. ;)

I know virtually nothing about midi... so I have these really cool Virtual Plugins with my Pro Tools, like Vacuum (analog synth sounds), but I have no idea how to get them to record to a track. Something as simple as just using my mouse to control the virtual keyboard, and I still couldn't figure it out.

Ultimately, I guess I'd like to be able to hook my keyboard up to it and access the virtual sounds through my keyboard. This can't be hard... :facepalm:

Any tips?

• Members

I know there is more appropriate forums for this kind of question, but I thought I'd bury it in here where B2B won't see it.
;)

I know virtually nothing about midi... so I have these really cool Virtual Plugins with my Pro Tools, like Vacuum (analog synth sounds), but I have no idea how to get them to record to a track. Something as simple as just using my mouse to control the virtual keyboard, and I still couldn't figure it out.

Ultimately, I guess I'd like to be able to hook my keyboard up to it and access the virtual sounds through my keyboard. This can't be hard...
:facepalm:

Any tips?

You need a MIDI adapter. I used this for several years

23-143-009-02.jpg

Connects to a USB port on your computer and has a female MIDI interface. Plug it in to the computer, install the drivers, etc. Connect the MIDI cable from the keyboard midi out into the interface midi in. Configure your host to accept midi input from the driver. There may be some additional mapping between the MIDI that the keyboard sends out and what you want to vary in the plugin (organ drawbars for example).

Many interfaces come with a built in MIDI port. What are you using for A/D conversion now?

• Members
You need a MIDI adapter. I used this for several years

23-143-009-02.jpg

Connects to a USB port on your computer and has a female MIDI interface. Plug it in to the computer, install the drivers, etc. Connect the MIDI cable from the keyboard midi out into the interface midi in. Configure your host to accept midi input from the driver. There may be some additional mapping between the MIDI that the keyboard sends out and what you want to vary in the plugin (organ drawbars for example).

Many interfaces come with a built in MIDI port. What are you using for A/D conversion now?

I have the Digidesign 003 Rack.

• Members

I've never been good with reading directions... or taking time to write lyrics for that matter.
:)

;)

Read The Furnished Materials

I started on Pro Tools 6, and at that time the MIDI capabilities were somewhat underwhelming. I got tired of paying the $75 fee for the annual update, so I haven't used the more recent versions, but I hear that the MIDI capabilities in Pro Tools have gotten much better.

• Members

I know there is more appropriate forums for this kind of question, but I thought I'd bury it in here where B2B won't see it.
;)

Ultimately, I guess I'd like to be able to hook my keyboard up to it and access the virtual sounds through my keyboard. This can't be hard...
:facepalm:

Any tips?

to get you going

go to create new track > stereo instrument track

press record on the track and record a little bit of nothing

a box will now appear on that track

double click it and you can draw the midi into there using the pencil tool

• Members

Incidentally, credit goes to my brother for the Beach Boys bass lines... he's been lurking here but has yet to present himself.

I'm here. Mostly lurking, although I did make a suggestion in an earlier thread about this tune that I think resulted in the "indigo hue" line.

• Members
To LCK's point about repetition of the word "room," what about something like:

All your melodies colored blue

There
in your
gloom

Are they part of your inspiration?

Too gloomy. :)

All your melodies colored blue
Your languishing view
Are they part of your inspiration?

Archived