Friday Influences Thread 03-23-12

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Post it!!! Don''t keep it to yourself. Go on... today is the day.

Shelly Johnson was a ballerina. She was tall and slender and blond. And this boy's ideal. I was 11, it was her birthday party. In their family's converted one car garage, we had cake, Happy Birthday banners, balloons... and a record player. 45rpm singles. And no, you don't stack them, you need to be in the moment.

...and the moment Micheal start singing I'll Be There, I knew I needed to hold the birthday girl in my little man arms. "Happy Birthday, Shelly. Will you dance with me?"

Here's Micheal's vocal isolated. Just awesome.

[video=youtube;ehal1eUG1jk]

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Man... I don't know if I can get away with posting songs from the pre-adolscent crush era... it was the early-mid 80's and perhaps wouldn't stand the test of time... maybe In the Air Tonight? I don't know... nevertheless, the girl... her name was Amy... and she's now my wife. ;)

• Members

Yeah! That's awesome. There was something in the air.

I remember slow dancing with her to such hits like: Do They Know It's Christmas Time and Careless Whisper (actually still love this tune).

• Members

West Covina? I grew up on Workman Ave. in West Covina. Shelly Johnson lived down the street in Baldwin Park.
:)

That's a wild coincidence.

I lived on Hillward Street, on the south side of the freeway, between Azusa and Hollenbeck.

I went to Cortez Grammar School (now called Cortess, it's still there; I found it on Google maps). That was kindergarten through 6th, but for some reason, when I was in the 3rd grade, I went to Workman Grade School. I always walked to school when I was at Cortez, but had to take the bus to get to Workman.

It sounds like you lived a bit west of Azusa.

Crazy, huh?

I have no idea where Susan Zeiman lived. She moved to San Francisco after 7th grade. She wore those "cat-eye" glasses and was self-conscious in a very charming way. I think there was a movie where Kim Basinger wore glasses like that. (Or maybe it was Darryl Hannah in Steel Magnolias.) Whoever it was, she looked just like Susan Zeiman (at least in my mind).

LCK

• Moderators

That's a wild coincidence.

I lived on Hillward Street, on the south side of the freeway, between Azusa and Hollenbeck.

I went to Cortez Grammar School (now called Cortess, it's still there; I found it on Google maps). That was kindergarten through 6th, but for some reason, when I was in the 3rd grade, I went to Workman Grade School. I always walked to school when I was at Cortez, but had to take the bus to get to Workman.

It sounds like you lived a bit west of Azusa.

Crazy, huh?

I have no idea where Susan Zeiman lived. She moved to San Francisco after 7th grade. She wore those "cat-eye" glasses and was self-conscious in a very charming way. I think there was a movie where Kim Basinger wore glasses like that. (Or maybe it was Darryl Hannah in
Steel Magnolias
.) Whoever it was, she looked just like Susan Zeiman (at least in my mind).

LCK

You realize we grew up a mile away from each other? I was north of the 10 over by Del Norte Park.

• Members

You realize we grew up a mile away from each other? I was north of the 10 over by Del Norte Park.

Not really. Well sort of.

I mean I lived there from 1954 to 1966. So I was in high school when you were just starting grade school.

But yeah, man, we still lived just across the freeway from each other.

LCK

• Members

This is great.

LCK

Damn skippy.

I have a ton of admiration for this youtuber. His songs will bug the {censored} out of people who believe that hooks need to be presented within 20 seconds and songs need to end before 3:00, but I'm a sucker for a compelling epic-style tune. If anything, I wish this were longer, with some Bee3 style rip-roaring solo work in the outro.

[video=youtube;6yIXjhEU6g8]

D5yA_QZcYGE=

• Moderators

I love Charles Mingus. His compositions are so cool. Not just in their hepcat vibe, and yeah, they are very cool that way, but the way he uses his basic material.

Just follow how the tune uses double time in sections, almost cartoony, check the piano during the tenor solo. Listen to Mingus himself on bass. He doesn't just walk like everybody else back in '59. He gets funky with neck slaps that are soooooo ahead of their time. Neck slaps that define a inner groove you didn't know was there. I absolutely love... how his charts are a mixture of premeditated composition and predetermined spots of total anarchy.

Beyond copacetic.

[video=youtube;L1q9TISo1aw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1q9TISo1aw

• Members

I've been reading Keith Richards book which has lead me to revisit some earlier Stones music. Masters of guitar riff driven rock 'n roll they were (are).

[video=youtube;9QBaKgYCDtE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QBaKgYCDtE

Deceptively simple but it requires the proper attitude - then it assumes a life of its own.

Contrasted with this version of another Stones classic by the Folksmen.

[video=youtube;yGqo_yFQoU8]

Archived