Friday Influences Thread 04-13-12

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Hey, it's your thing. Do what you wanna do. Post or don't. No wait... go ahead, post!

I'm 4 maybe. My Grandma from Edinburgh says...

"We stood in the valley, Lee. And in the distance we heard the drums first coming from the north over the hill. Then the pipes. Amazing Grace. Beautiful. Beautiful. (she sings a few lines) First we see their heads, then bodies and pipes and... wait from the south too? Lord yes, Lee. From the south. A whole different drum and pipe band marching our way from over that hill behinds us. Then the east, then the west. Four different groups, Lee. Four. All playing Amazing Grace. God bless Scotland. Like the angels playing just for us, Lee. Jesus, Mary and Joseph."

At which point she walks behind the bar of her Hollywood home. Quite a journey from home in Scotland to Toronto... to the Hollywood Hills. Behind the bottles of Rye and Gin and one of those old fashioned seltzer bottles with a trigger. She reaches down to her custom installed hi-fi in the bar (Grandpa Fred was handy) and gently lowers the needle. Amazing Grace. Pipes and drums. She comes back out from the bar, looks down at me (was she crying). Then looks up. Closes her eyes... and starts to dance like she was 16 years old.

She told that story many times over the years to an audience of 30, or to an audience of 1. Nothing like Scottish Whiskey to prime the pump of emotions and memories.

Below is a version by Randy Scruggs I took to the first time I heard it almost 25 years ago on the Dirt Band's Will the Circle Be Unbroken part 2 album. Randy Scruggs completely nails the simple hover of its melody and harmony. I immediately lifted his arrangement and still play it as close to this as I can get.

Grandma Mary, are you there? You listening?

CF0008ScottishValley_DSC2443-vi.jpg

[video=youtube;3lRHWUUYqo8]

• Members

Back in the day, when I was in my band and we were doing pretty well in the Philly area... I dare say I had grown accustomed to seeing a ton of {censored}ty bands come through town. I'm ashamed of this... what a snotty attitude! Truth be told, there truly were a ton of {censored}ty bands... It was rare when a band would come through that would really completely blow me away.

So one night, on an off night, I was hanging at the local pub where we did a lot of gigs... and this band from Ohio comes on stage. I'm immediately intrigued because dude had a real hammond. And they were all dressed in suits. For the next hour, they destroyed the room... took no prisoners... just completely reduced me to a puddle of unworthy slime on the floor... they were awesome! I was begging for an encore... screaming for more.

They were called Homunculus. I befriended them later... and we ended up trading gigs. They were very accomodating when we played in Cincinnati... even let us sleep in their beds (they went off with their girlfriends).

There is really no internet footage of them... or hasn't been... until I found this today. Quality isn't great, but the song speaks for itself I think.

[video=youtube;mJQr0jHTkcs]

• Members

I posted Townes Van Zandt's song, "Kathleen" on Stick's recent thread, as what I think is a great example of the minor-key folk tradition. I posted the live version. But there's a studio version that kind of shows how too much production can be, well, too much.

It's a beautiful, haunting song. And I like this version a lot, but still...

[video=youtube;PxTpJ1Cyl9s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxTpJ1Cyl9s

Here's the live version.

[video=youtube;BrQzO3OJMkg]

Here's a band called Tindersticks, using the same basic arrangement as the studio version.

[video=youtube;ReXDWFW5nto]

LCK

• Members

Love me some Townes

I love this....taken from the heartworn highways documentary (which has some great artists on it)

Really emotional performance.... shown in the face of the listener

This clip is really interesting. The old black guy is trying to get Townes to stop drinking. That's what he's talking about as the clip starts. I think he'd also just been diagnosed with a terminal disease of some sort. So what we see in his face is really heartbreaking.

LCK

• Members

This clip is really interesting. The old black guy is trying to get Townes to stop drinking. That's what he's talking about as the clip starts. I think he'd also just been diagnosed with a terminal disease of some sort. So what we see in his face is really heartbreaking.

LCK

I think the song may be based on the emotional chaps life

there are some amazing guy clark performances on that doc too

like this

[video=youtube;rU1nXzhiuWE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU1nXzhiuWE

BIG Guy Clark fan

• Moderators

Yes, I'm think I am with you there. ^^^

Wow, I've just listened to those both twice. I really love that.

So, I just got out of my car driving home from work. Fresh Air with Terry Gross. What a great radio show. She's interviewing the poet Marie Howe. Pretty phenomenal stuff. Howe is asked to read her poem, Practicing. She said it took her 20 years to write. It was uncomfortable. All the girls here in the poem grew up to marry in the "normal" fashion, herself included. How could she write this. not until she saw that it was a song of spiritual praise did she see the form and tone that it would take on.

What a bold, brave, insightful bit of honesty about young sexuality. I've never heard anything like it. I can hear Patti Smith sing this... maybe uncomfortable for some but I love this sort of honesty. (formatting intact)

Practicing

I want to write a love poem for the girls I kissed in seventh grade,

a song for what we did on the floor in the basement

of somebody

• Members

Stoned on kisses.

Hmmm. Nice.

I had this song in the back of my mind while writing "She Takes Pictures." That song turned out differently than I'd hoped or imagined, but then I don't have Kenny Rankin's chops on the guitar.

[video=youtube;dx2tcDivhhk]

LCK

• Members

That's a fine poem, I think, Lee Knight.

Also a big Guy Clark fan, here. I remember the first time I heard "LA Freeway" on the radio -- can't even recall who was doing it, maybe Jerry Jeff Walker? I was really knocked out by the song itself. And I still am 40 odd years later. :thu:

The dj-scratch-sonic logo from whomever at the end of the clip was about 30 times louder than the song, though. I thought my audio interface was blowing up. :D

• Members

Below is a version by Randy Scruggs I took to the first time I heard it almost 25 years ago on the Dirt Band's Will the Circle Be Unbroken part 2 album. Randy Scruggs completely nails the simple hover of its melody and harmony. I immediately lifted his arrangement and still play it as close to this as I can get.

Me, too. I still have this on vinyl, although that particular track is worn pretty thin.

• Members

that New Bonnie Raitt was pretty on time yesterday.

Some great tracks. Joe Henry is another musician I was unfamiliar with until reading about him in the latest Acoustic Guitar magazine. Turns out he wrote two of the songs on the Bonnie Raitt album and produced those and two more. He made a great comment in the article, saying, "... you write songs and put them in a pile and after a while some of those songs start to form gangs." Kind of an interesting notion.

Sorry, there's a brief ad at the beginning of this video.

[video=youtube;pYvdTdhW2hg]

• Moderators

Well, that track is great. I was under the impression that Henry produced the whole album. Not true? Man, he reminds a bit of Jon Brion in his use of jazz harmony and ol' time fidelity mixed with new sensibilities. I dig that^

• Members

Well, that track is great. I was under the impression that Henry produced the whole album. Not true? Man, he reminds a bit of Jon Brion in his use of jazz harmony and ol' time fidelity mixed with new sensibilities. I dig that^

He also talks about listening to Sinatra sing "One for My Baby" and what a great song that is - exactly what folks were saying in last week's FIT. His comments are about how you hear certain songs so many times that they almost become invisible. Then, sometimes in the right circumstance you hear it fresh and say 'Man, is that a great song.'

Archived