Lemon Zest ft. Tyler Rae Knight

Lee Knight

• Members

Also - having listened to it a couple of times - the song/arrangement/feel is great. It has a good flow and is easy to like/groove to. I think it is a keeper in that regard. I'm no pro at lyrics - just opinions and you know what they say about that...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
Yeh

Just give it a rest (REST (crowd repeat))

Im so bored of your B.S boooooooooooooooooy

Can't you see im not impressed

so give it a rest

Its simple but i think thats what it needs

I like this.

The original idea was to have a sleep over, we have lots of those, set up a stereo pair in my living room (sounds great) and record 5 pissed off young teens singing the It's just BS, more of your lemon zest. As a tag out. But you've got it incorportated into the chorus. I like that a lot. The song needs, for want of a better word, a gimmick. That was the attempt with lemon zest. But that's not doing it, as we know.. So I need to scupt out a uber catcht meldoy to that ^ lyric, streamlined as it is, and use the gaps for the angry Viking young teen choir.

Grab a piece of pizza and step up to these mike girls! :)

So it's called "Give It a Rest"

• Moderators

I'm also hearing then, the whole title being crowd shouted back

Just give it a rest (GIVE IT A REST!)
Im so bored of your B.S (GIVE IT A REST!)
Can't you see I'm not impressed
So just give it a rest (GIVE IT A REST, GIVE IT A REST!)
Just give it a rest

I'll use the basic chord structure of Lemon Zest but shorten it waaaaay up. Maybe put a bit more motion into that main melody

• Members

The funny thing is, with this new approach you might be able to sneak the phrase "lemon zest" back in!

As I mentioned much earlier, when you first presented this idea, I think you were attached to the lemon zest idea because you live just up the road from Lemon Grove!

I could be wrong.

LCK

• Members

I don't normally post when not at the 9-5 but I just had a thought

The funny thing is, with this new approach you might be able to sneak the phrase "lemon zest" back in!

As I mentioned much earlier, when you first presented this idea,
I
think you were attached to the lemon zest idea because you live just up the road from Lemon Grove!

I could be wrong.

LCK

What if you used 'Lemon Zest' as the shouted back ground vocal

Just give it a rest (Lemon Zest)

I'm so bored of your B.S (Lemon Zest)

So just give it a rest (Lemon Zest)

Just give it a rest

• Moderators
I don't normally post when not at the 9-5 but I just had a thought

What if you used 'Lemon Zest' as the shouted back ground vocal

Just give it a rest (Lemon Zest)

I'm so bored of your B.S (Lemon Zest)

So just give it a rest (Lemon Zest)

Just give it a rest

That is an awesome idea. ^ Thanks! But I am so over the Lemon idea it ain't gonna happen. There is no allusion to the metaphor in the verses. I'm going to take that as a sign and bail it. The BOOT!

lemons-the-lemon.jpg

• Moderators

I just wanted to say that I woke up with this song stuck in my head. After only listening twice, I gotta say, this is a hell of a catchy melody.

Cool! What part? The verse, the chorus? I'm rewriting the chorus but if you tell me what bit of lyric so I can see what part of the melody... that would be a huge help!!! Thanks man.

• Members

Cool! What part? The verse, the chorus? I'm rewriting the chorus but if you tell me what bit of lyric so I can see what part of the melody... that would be a huge help!!! Thanks man.

I guess what you'd call the prechorus stuck with me the most. "So IF you gon n done it I GUESS you really want it." The chorus is fun as hell too. I really like the the phrasing, or I guess, placement, of "they're just lies you invent, boy". It comes right after the previous line, unlike the first few lines of the chorus which have at least a bar of rests between 'em. That one line kind of has an impact. Real cool. If I were you, I'd lose the lemon zest idea (I see you've already made that decision) and beef up the production so when your daughter gives this another pass, she's more confident due to her vocal being less naked. You can always strip back some elements after you get her vocal, but right now it's so sparse (sounds great) that she probably feels naked singing to it. You know?

• Moderators

I'm liking this. Using the best bits of melody from the old Lemon chorus, cranking up the backup oo-na-nana's, and shortening the piss out of it.

Just give it a rest (GIVE IT A REST)
I'm so bored of your B.S (GIVE IT A REST)
They're just lies you invent boy... I'm not impressed (this on the melody/turnaround of "Just lies you invert boy, as if it were true")
You gave it your best
Now just give it a rest (GIVE IT A REST)

• Members

I'm liking this. Using the best bits of melody from the old Lemon chorus, cranking up the backup oo-na-nana's, and shortening the piss out of it.

This is just a suggestion...but is there any chance you could replace those backgrounds with female voices? Or make your own voice sound female? It just seems the male vox sound a little out of place on this song...but then again, I guess it isn't too far-fetched that a girl could have a bunch of guy friends helping her get through to this guy. :)

• Moderators
This is just a suggestion...but is there any chance you could replace those backgrounds with female voices? Or make your own voice sound female? It just seems the male vox sound a little out of place on this song...but then again, I guess it isn't too far-fetched that a girl could have a bunch of guy friends helping her get through to this guy.
:)

I can sort of do that. I was going to track octave oo-na-nana's in female voice as well and use mine more for support. That what I really meant when I said crank them up. I'm stacking more of them and they'll be a chick.

• Members

It looks like the words 'Lemon Zest' are going to disappear from this song.

They are however too good not to be put to use somewhere else. So if you do another song........

As you probably know, the zest is only in the yellow scraping, and if you scrape too deep into the next layer, then bitterness is mixed in with the zest.

There's a metaphor waiting to happen.

Archived