May 2012 SHOWCASE Thread :: Finished work, videos, career news, BSP, more...

blue2blue

• Members

May 2012 SHOWCASE

No news too trivial, no bragging right too small. Whether your latest triumph was a multi-album deal or a good night at your local open mic -- there's room to talk about it here...
:)

Here's this month's
Official Showcase Thread
where you can post your
completed projects
, links to
finished works
(even
old
ones) you want your pals here in the SW forum to hear,
promo videos
, covers of other people's songs, or just generally
shameless self-hype
that you're
far too professional
and courteous to post in the main forum.

POST 'EM IF YOU GOT 'EM!

:)

previous showcase threads

April 2012

March 2012

February 2012

January 2012

December 2011

November 2011

October 2011

September 2011

August 2011

July 2011

June 2011

May 2011

April 2011

March 2011

February 2011

January 2011

December 2010

November 2010

October 2010

September 2010

August 2010

July 2010

June 2010

May 2010

April 2010

March 2010

February 2010

January 2010

December 2009

November 2009

October 2009

September 2009

August 2009

July 2009 [no posts]

June 2009

May 2009

April 2009

March 2009

February 2009

January 2009

December 2008

November 2008

October 2008

More on the Songwriting Forum Monthly Showcase

• Members

It all started with a Friday the 13th FIT - http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2865233-Friday-the-13th-(01-13-12)-Influences-Thread&p=44827165&viewfull=1#post44827165

(should have been my first warning)

Then I thought I would try and do a RPM (Record Per Month) challenge in February. But, things always take longer than I think they will ....

So it wasn't until yesterday that I finally finished up the "Skinny Tie, British Accent" set: http://www.soundclick.com/SkinnyTie.

It's supposed to sound like a working band, on a good night, with a sympathetic sound man. So, although it wound up taking almost four months, I tried to keep all the instrument and mixing parameters the same across the songs:

Drums - Addictive Drums Tama Kit

Bass - right hand fingers, jazz pickup into Brick DI, a low cut filter around 60 hz and the Blockfish compressor. I wound up having to use a pick on one of the Squeeze songs - oh well.

Keys - either Reason Pianos or B4. I wound up using a couple of different presets on the B4 across songs - again, oh well.

Guitar - Les Paul into Classic 30, Hot Plate DI and Boogex cab sim. I wound up using both the rhythm and lead channels on the C30 using the footswitch and using the toggle switch to go between neck and bridge pickups.

Vocals - Sennheiser MD-421 into Great River preamp, Blockfish compressor, Kjaerhus reverb. I gave myself two vocal tracks per song.

Mastering - Elephant limiter, eq bump around 1K, Kjaerhus reverb.

Lessons learned:

1) Accurate transcriptions help across the board. Reading sheet music, even as slowly as I read, is so much more time effective than trying to learn new material by ear. I thought I would be able to generate lead sheets from the midi, but I don't think that is going to work (thanks shortchord). So before I go out and try and recruit musicians, I'm going to need to pony up for a copy of Finale, sharpen my sheet music skills, and transcribe everything by hand.

2) Timing is everything. And boy does my timing need work. Especially on keys. There may be some midi/audio latency problem in my signal chain, but when I'm playing a non-trivial keyboard part at speed I tend to rush and consistently jump the beat by 1/16th to 1/32 of a note. One of my personnel ideas was that I would be able to fill in on any one of the chairs if we had scheduling problems, but I'm going to need to woodshed A LOT on keys if I have to carry a set from the piano bench. For the recordings, because I was going to record the bass and guitar over the keys later (and because I'm vain) I did a bunch of midi timing edits on the keyboard parts.

One interesting thing that I'm discovering is that timing is tone. Depending on exactly where I lock into the drums it changes the sound of the note a lot. If I jump the beat the attack of the note becomes uncomfortably apparent; if I lag the beat just a little the note can almost disappear; if I hit the beat right on you can get the attack of the drum and the sustain of the instrument.

3) Writing for horns. Definitely a learning experience and I'm not sure I have a handle on it yet. Building up chords from a set of monophonic parts is a whole new approach to harmony for me - I've always played polyphonic instruments and tend to think in terms of finding lines inside of chords - making chords appear through the intersection of single note lines is going to take a while to digest.

• Members

Ras, why can't you generate the lead sheets from midi?

Because they are unreadable as sheet music. It's a record of me playing, not a record of me writing. If I'm on piano, I may leave my finger on the note long after it has stopped ringing because that doesn't make any sound, but that makes the sheet music look bizarre. Ditto timing, slurs, little accidental notes, etc.

• Members

Because they are unreadable as sheet music. It's a record of me playing, not a record of me writing. If I'm on piano, I may leave my finger on the note long after it has stopped ringing because that doesn't make any sound, but that makes the sheet music look bizarre. Ditto timing, slurs, little accidental notes, etc.

I can see that. With what I did, I just played it until I got a good verse and chorus, printed out those sections, and gave them to the fellas.

Copy and Paste in Finale is a beautiful thing. ;)

Only having my experience to pull on, I wouldn't call myself an expert or anything, but I can say writing them out on paper is a rewarding experience... it is just so darn time consuming, at least for me it was anyway.

I think you'll like finale alot though. With it you can use the midi controller to get the basic idea down, make appropriate adjustments, hear it back, and then copy and paste like a mofo! It also makes it easier to visualize those chords appearing from single note lines when you are looking at the staff.

I look forward to video of you doing these tunes with a full band!

On a somewhat related note, did you see that CCS Video that was posted in GJ yesterday? That horn work was super cool.

• Members

My bass player is giving me up-to-the-minute updates of when our CD is getting spun on the local radio station. First at 4:30 this morning, and again just now. Big time, here we come.

Whoo-hoo! Yay! Way to go!

LCK

• Members

The first new track for my upcoming release is now on my site streaming and for sale as a download and ringtone. It's an instrumental guitar/B3 tune called 'Finest Kind' and it will be the first song on my new record, 'Street Level', which will drop over the summer. Check it out and hear some vocal songs, too, at www.mikeocull.com Thanks!!

• Members

Dug this one from the depths of my back pages.

I tracked it live with an Emperor 'Joe Pass' and liked it so I decided to have some fun with it and make it sound like....the band....in a live setting. Opened the studio windows and tracked the other guitar. I even dug out the foot control for my TC harmonizer.:facepalm:

Truth is...I quite like it now. Considering doing a studio version.

Worth Waiting For

:cool::wave:

• Members

Just finished the music video for this song last night. Took four days of filming (after months of planning) and a couple of weeks of editing to put it all together. It's a song based on some of the many ghost stories told around Hastings Old Town.

Lyrics here:

Little Molly Hawkins in her ragged little dress

ran away through Waterloo, a damsel in distress

holding apples, sweet and round

lost her footing on the bridge and fell into the Bourne

now upon a cold dark night you'll see her on her line of flight

an apple on the ground

The priest at All Saints church, well, he played a different game

buried smugglers gold in the graveyard of the same

in the dead of night

they took him to the beach and put a noose around his neck

threw him in an unmarked grave, and now they say that if you're brave

he'll lead you to the site

Elaina sang upon the stage, it helped her to survive

the Palace of Varieties made her feel alive

'til her parents said "no more"

she left a note and took her life in the theatre of her dreams

now when playing with your friends, in the arcade down where George Street ends

she'll sing just like before

Now I can understand why they'd want to hang around

there's no place I'd rather be than this little seaside town

but leave me someplace here to haunt, when I go

_3nTSLMh6BY

• Members

This what I've been working on. This one has commanded my attention.

Before We Fade

We've got one more chance to make a difference

One more chance to save the day

Can we still dance

Or will we fade away

Not much time to find the answer

We've been trying to find our way

Now's the time to take a chance

Today

Before we fade

Before we fade

Before we fade

Away

Before we fade

We gotta try a little harder

Before we fade

We gotta do a little more

Before we fade

Away

Not much time to find the answer

Not much time to find our way

Not much chance for us

Unless we change today

We all know just what's missing

We all know what we must do

This is how it ends

Unless we change

One more chance to make a difference

One more chance to save the day

Let's just dance

Before we fade away

Before we fade

Before we fade

Before we fade

Away

• Members

Great stuff, Len. That key change in the middle is excellent and I like that you are relying on your signature runs less with each post. Excellent vocals as well.

David, you have a great style about you. The raw vocals are very endearing and there is just something captivating about your rhythmic style.

Archived