High gain. Where to put it?!

symeboy

• Members

Just bought a 1985 JCM800 2210 but wont get to play with it until the new year (which is why I'm on here instead of playing!) although Ive owned a JCM800 before so I know what sound to expect.

Gonna change the power tubes for KT88s/6550s but was also wondering about changing the preamp section.

I like preamp distortion and Im a big fan of the 80s metal high gain marshall sound. I already know that my MXR eq pedal + an OD in front will sound great!

So what are your opinions about gain out in front of the amp vs a "high gain" set of preamp tubes? My uneducated hunch is that I shouldnt bother messing with the preamp tubes at the risk messing up the sound quality and they might not make much difference to breakup anyway?

p.s. I run active pickups

Thoughts?

• Members

Just bought a 1985 JCM800 2210 but wont get to play with it until the new year (which is why I'm on here instead of playing!) although Ive owned a JCM800 before so I know what sound to expect.

Gonna change the power tubes for KT88s/6550s but was also wondering about changing the preamp section.

I like preamp distortion and Im a big fan of the 80s metal high gain marshall sound. I already know that my MXR eq pedal + an OD in front will sound great!

So what are your opinions about gain out in front of the amp vs a "high gain" set of preamp tubes? My uneducated hunch is that I shouldnt bother messing with the preamp tubes at the risk messing up the sound quality and they might not make much difference to breakup anyway?

p.s. I run active pickups

Thoughts?

You can't just put KT88's into a JCM800 without serious mods.

• Members

maybe a bit off topic now but how did john sykes get such high gain outta his JCM800 WITHOUT a boost?

Not familiar with his tone, but the JCM800 is probably the most modified amplifier on the planet.. Then there are high output pickups, guitar preamps etc..

-D

• Members

i know in the studio he combined his marshall with a Mark III coliseum to get his high gain tone.

yeah but live he goes straight into a 50 W JCM 800! I know, Ive seen him do it recently too!

apparently some guy "Jose":confused: modded them and EVH's amps back in the 80s but its surprisingly difficult to find out exactly what they did...

• Members
yeah but live he goes straight into a 50 W JCM 800! I know, Ive seen him do it recently too!

apparently
some guy "Jose"
:confused:
modded them and EVH's amps back in the 80s but its surprisingly difficult to find out exactly what they did...

There you go, its modded to the tits then. Arredondo mods are a complete overhaul of the preamp, blending two preamps together with more than enough gain per side to begin with... HUGE sounding. Nowadays, Cameron mods do the same original arredondo if you can shell out the cash, and immence patience.

-D

Archived