Piano/Rock Song With Vocals, Need Some Feedback On This One!

• Members

A track me and my buddy wrote, (his voice is the one featured). First mix without relying on double tracked, panned and distorted rhythm guitars to get a wide sound, sort of an experiment. I think it turned out alright, all of the guitars were recorded via Axe Fx and are essentially just clean patches with slight overdrive in some parts. I used the avatar kit stacked with a snare and a kick from the metal foundry. For bass we used a cheap lion bass from walmart into a preamp, haha. Oh, and stick around for the indie guitar solo at 2:37. Thanks for listening.

http://soundcloud.com/alectac/start-again

• Members

I take it from your description that you are looking for more of a mix and production comment more than on the song itself. Just to keep my response legal I'll mention the song.

Nice, floating melody.

OK, now production.... the vocals, i can hear they are nice, but they are too mixed in with the music- they need to float above a bit. So, crank the rest down, or up the vocal track.

I am on audio mixing headphones.

Rick

• Members

A track me and my buddy wrote, (his voice is the one featured). First mix without relying on double tracked, panned and distorted rhythm guitars to get a wide sound, sort of an experiment. I think it turned out alright, all of the guitars were recorded via Axe Fx and are essentially just clean patches with slight overdrive in some parts. I used the avatar kit stacked with a snare and a kick from the metal foundry. For bass we used a cheap lion bass from walmart into a preamp, haha. Oh, and stick around for the indie guitar solo at 2:37. Thanks for listening.

Really, really like it. Yes, the vox up , but just a bit, not too much, as I like how it melds with the instruments. I like how the drums start drivin @ 1:35 - keeps it interesting. If this came on the radio - I'd keep it on....

• Members

I like this a lot. The melodies are great as is the singer. I have to echo what the others are saying on the mix though. I think you could fix most of that just bringing the piano down a bit. The only guitar I'm really hearing is the solo, everything else is getting covered up by the piano.

I can't comment of the lyrics, I cant make most of them out over that piano.

• Members

Wow, thanks for the input everyone! I'm kicking myself because in the car the vocals are a bit low, especially in the verse's. I took out some of the highs in the piano, brought it down a bit and pulled the vox up a little too.

Heres the latest updated mix: https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Destination/Start%20Again%20mix%20fix.wav?w=dd793a70

Archived