Coming Back to You - Psychedelic Rock/Hendrix influenced wah guitars

Easy Going

• Members

Hey guys, I'm looking for critique of this song of mine. It's a relatively simple hard rock and stoner rock influenced song, with wah wah guitars and the like. I'd like someone to comment on the songwriting specifically. It's advised to listen to the whole thing, as there is a bridge of some sort at the end. Also, listen with headphones if you can. Anyways, thanks.

http://soundcloud.com/holdingtheinfinite/coming-back-to-you-updated-mix

• Members

since you got no replies to this thread I thought would respond.

I loved the tune. and I listened to it on cheap headphones and cheap pc speakers and it sounded as god as anything out there, so mix job on the mix too.

It reminded me a bit of what the Stone Roses where doing back in the late 80's and early 90's and some of the other Madchester bands.

I wish the voc were up a it in the mix, but that's subjective.

• Members

I listened but don't have a lot of critique to offer. The song is a bit too free-form for me to have a good sense of what might need help and what might not. I do agree that the vocals are too buried, I didn't understand a word.

Edit: I do have to say that I really like the end, and that you should get that sooner, even if only briefly. I wouldn't have stuck around had I been listening in just about any other setting.

• Members

Hi, Easy Going!

You've got a provocative thing going on with the long, slow vocal lines floating (through an ocean of tanky reverb) over the super-hyperactive drumming. I sort of like that contrast. With regard to the melody, it seems a bit vague and the vocal seems to drift to provocative harmonic relationship with the instrumental parts a few times but I like the idea. I normally don't comment on lyrics unless they're posted and this will be no exception, since I really couldn't make them out. ;) But I did like that floating, ethereal approach a fair amount. Good contrast to a bazillion straight rock songs.

This isn't a performance oriented forum, but I have to say that it sounds like the timing between the drums and the guitars seems to get a bit disengaged at times. And, honestly, while I love aggressive drumming in the right context, I think it works best when there's a coherent flow and structure and where the drummer builds tension and release through the course of a song. Here, I almost got the feeling that the drummer just played all out 'til he ran out of steam 2/3 of the way through and dropped back to more of a back beat kind of thing. The part may well have been planned in that fashion but, well, the impression I got was more burn out that cool down. Anyhow, not necessarily a songwriting issue but perhaps an arranging/performance one.

Mikeo's smack on with his reference to the Manchester late 80s rock bands, btw, seems to me.

• Members

Damnit, I just created a super long reply to your guy's critiques and it got deleted -__- But thanks a lot guys, I appreciate it. It's funny you should mention the Madchester thing, I'd never listen to anything from that scene, but now I'm intrigued to check it out. And I'll take your advice on making the drums a bit more tension building. Anyways, do you think I have potential as a songwriter? I'm only 16, and am just beginning to dive into the world of songwriting, and I've been quite frustrated with myself at not being able to write good enough songs. I have a great desire to do big things with music (I know, cliche) but my skills are not enough for my ambitions yet, apparently. I'm a proficient guitarist, but would trade it all away to write good music. Any tips for songwriting in general? I'm thinking I want to be the next Lennon, that's just a dream of mine though.

And yeah the lyrics aren't good, I didn't put much thought into them, subject matter is about me having to quit marijuana because I got caught by my parents and me treating the situation as marijuana being a girl, basically applying it to relationship related {censored}. Similar to Mccartney's Got to Get You Into My Life. I'll take your advice though, and keep messing with it all.

Archived