Gather Around - V3 (Near Final)

bee3

• Members

OK... I've taken some suggestions... Let me know what you think.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11707885

Gather around my friends

This is no the end

It is the beginning

Of understanding when

We'll all heal together

Let's all come together right now

Time is on our side

We've broken down and cried

Let's think of all the good times while we

Leave our pain behind

Let's all be together

Let's all raise a beer

To friends we miss so dear

We can grieve this one day but we'll

Celebrate all year

Let's all be together

Let's all be together

• Members

I really like the addition of the concrete music sounds at the beginning and the end.

I love the organ solo, and the electric piano solo too.

The organ solo still feels like you're working up to an ending, so the third verse seems to come out of nowhere. But I have to say, all that aside, it's a really nice solo.

And I really like the organ on the fade out as well.

I'm not sure what's going on in the third verse each time you sing the word "together." It sounds like wolves howling. I don't know what that is, or what it's supposed to be.

But, yeah, for the most part, a really, really nice song. I'd be very proud of it if I were you...

LCK

• Members

Yeh this is way cool.

See if you can do anything with the drums..... it might just be my ears ....and hearing EVERYONE just using the standard AD drum kit with not much done to it.... starts to take some of your uniqueness away. ...... maybe try panning them pretty far left and then have a reverb on them panned pretty far right..... the main drums will be left and the slightly ghostly version will be filling in the stereo field on the right.

Cool song

• Members

Also whilst im "banging" on about the drums (I think we are up to that stage now) try turning the velocities really down in the midi editor so you get more of a tap than a thwack.... they sound a bit strong for the track.

:)

Just uploaded a new mix in place of the old one... I tried panning the drums, but even with it panned full left, I could still hear it in the right??? Maybe it's a midi audio thing, but I couldn't get it to work... I did soften the velocity and added panned reverb. Let me know what you think.

• Members

sounds great - if i was being super picky id put an eq on the reverb channel and roll off some of the top end

I may do that... because when I listened to it in my car just now, I was bothered by something about the snare. I was thinking it was too loud... maybe eq will let it sit better.

• Members

I may do that... because when I listened to it in my car just now, I was bothered by something about the snare. I was thinking it was too loud... maybe eq will let it sit better.

Do you have any drum kits in AD with brushes rather than sticks? That would work well on this tune.

• Members

Do you have any drum kits in AD with brushes rather than sticks? That would work well on this tune.

Agreed. Definitely need some brushes. If you send me an mp3, I can create a brush snare only file and send it back. You can play around with it and see if you can make it sit well.

It would probably be easiest for me if you sent over an mp3 of just the snare along with the BPM. Be sure to start from 0 so it'll be easy to slide back into the mix.

Some thoughts:

* I love the electric piano solo, definitely the right move going in that direction. Terrific EP candy sprinkled during the organ solo as well.

* I liked the way the song entered before, something about the acoustic seems too strong.

* The "HO!!!!!" part is too up front and interacts too much with the song, IMO, especially with it doubling up. You need the background noise to be more casual, doing its own thing. I think just some laughter that stands out a little more after the first "together" would work better.

Great tune.

• Members

Agreed. Definitely need some brushes. If you send me an mp3, I can create a brush snare only file and send it back. You can play around with it and see if you can make it sit well.

It would probably be easiest for me if you sent over an mp3 of just the snare along with the BPM. Be sure to start from 0 so it'll be easy to slide back into the mix.

Some thoughts:

* I love the electric piano solo, definitely the right move going in that direction. Terrific EP candy sprinkled during the organ solo as well.

* I liked the way the song entered before, something about the acoustic seems too strong.

* The "HO!!!!!" part is too up front and interacts too much with the song, IMO, especially with it doubling up. You need the background noise to be more casual, doing its own thing. I think just some laughter that stands out a little more after the first "together" would work better.

Great tune.

Yeah... brushes would be cool. I don't have them currently... let me take a look at the cost, I've been meaning to buy them anyway from AD. If not, sure... I'll definitely take you up on the offer!

I'll probably remove the Hey Ho part... it was an experiment. Regarding the intro... I was trying to cut the length of the song down... but maybe I can do something that accomplishes both.

That was the first time I recorded with my real Rhodes... I really love the tone that I got down. I do all this stuff with the Nord Electro... typically Rhodes, Wurli and Organ... and it's all very good until you put the mics up on the real thing, then bam! Big difference in my opinion.

• Members

Beautiful tune.

Verse 1 Guitar in left channel just a touch too loud. Pushing in on the vocals just a tiny bit. 5%

Organ is atmospheric.

I think I recall this song from another thread or possibly another board. The song is flowing, pulls me along. If I had one thing to change in it, it would be something injected somewhere in the song to surprise the listener. A few chords somewhere that take me in a different direction, for just a short time. Just something to jostle things up just a touch.

But what is there is great.

Rick

Archived