Friday Influences Thread! 06-22-12 HAH!

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Really... I mean really. That's beautiful. Brian is art's man-child. Mike Love... well, I didn't even like him as a kid. That period in the 80's where the Boys were touring baseball stadiums doing after game gigs while Brian hid out in Malibu? I stumbled on The Beach Boys a few times and was not into it. Mike Love has always rubbed me the wrong way.

Part of the Beach Boys charm, and Brian's charm as well, was this sort dichotomy between a seemingly mature emotion, and childlike voices. Brian still sounds like an innocent. Mike Love had the bratty teen role. That bratty role doesn't age so well. I didn't much like it when it was new either but it did fit in nicely to Brian's soundscapes.

I absolutely love Brian Wilson. As you say Bee, Mike Love? Not so much...

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A friend made me laugh when he said "I find stupidity in a woman to be sexy." I thought at once of a Jimmy Buffett song that my wife and I have 'quoted' to each other -- the title words at least -- for 40 years. Seemingly full of cliches, and set to music evocative of "Bimbo Limbo" (as Jimmy dubs it) it's actually a very good lyric. It's too early in the day for a Margarita; maybe a mood-setter for later? If nothing else enjoy the pictures!

[video=youtube;ho1feBwd8R4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ho1feBwd8R4

• Members

I've got a million dollar idea. Let's pitch to VH1 a series where artists go back in the studio and record their 80s classics without DX7s and other cheesy synths, and no gated reverb snares...

• Members

Sorry, that just cracks me up. Especially Dylan's comment afterwards.

Here's the thing about Mike Love. When the Beach Boys went to India to study with the Maharishi (yes, when the Beatles, Donovan, et al, were also there), he became very interested in transcendental meditation. In fact, he's reportedly been meditating every day of his life since then. But when people who've met Love in person hear this, they say something to the effect of, "Well, it just goes to prove that TM is a bunch of crap."

However, if they say that someone who actually knew Love before he started meditating, that person will generally say something to the effect of, "Oh, no. You have no idea how much of an asshole he was before he met the Maharishi..."

Anyway, I found Mike Love's rant to be genuinely chucklesome. A bad attempt at trying to be funny.

LCK

• Members

I've posted this before but I love it. Even with all the DX7 80's-like patches and other questionable production missteps. Just dig the chords and modulations. It's freaking great.

Dig this beautiful tune, written and sung by my pal* Jeff Foskett.

Check out the voice that comes in on the line, "And everything I need I find in you..." That's Brian. He goes on to sing the chorus: "Everyone I ever knew is looking for someone who..." etc.

[video=youtube;hPXleBlUjSM]

LCK

*Jeff is best friends with one of my oldest pals from college. I once sang on stage with his former band, The Pranks, at Jeff's invitation. He's also the musical director for Brian's touring band, sings the high harmonies on the current Beach Boys tour, and is and one of the prime motivators for the recent resurgence and rehabilitation of that very special Musical Genius From Hawthorne, CA.

• Members

It's almost funny how much you didn't have to tell us where Brian comes in singing.
:)
That voice.

I know, right? The first time I heard this song I had no idea Brian was singing on it. I was just listening, and said to myself, "Wait a second!" Then I went back to that spot and, of course, who else could it be?

LCK

• Members

LCK

*Jeff is best friends with one of my oldest pals from college. I once sang on stage with his former band, The Pranks, at Jeff's invitation. He's also the musical director for Brian's touring band, sings the high harmonies on the current Beach Boys tour, and is and one of the prime motivators for the recent resurgence and rehabilitation of that very special Musical Genius From Hawthorne, CA.

He's your friend? He was amazing in concert last week... I couldn't believe how spot on he was singing Brian's high parts.

• Members

With just one day till Mr. Knight posts my next favorite "Influences" let's kick this sucker over the 2,000 "views" with a question to our moderator: Do you admit to any 'sacred cows' among your musical influences? How about when it comes to comedy. I was just thinking . . .

Great satire is an equal-opportunity assassin who acknowledges no sacred cows (or bulls). Two months ago someone uploaded to YouTube an example of humor we 'boomers' used to find only on National Lampoon black vinyl LP's.

I think with particular fondness of one Christopher Guest sendup of John Lennon performing a song called

• Members

He's your friend? He was amazing in concert last week... I couldn't believe how spot on he was singing Brian's high parts.

He's a friend of a friend.

I've met him, hung out with him. That was years ago, back in the late 70s, early 80s.

He's a really nice guy. Very funny and very genuine.

He's always had an amazing amount of talent. His journey from living near Mike Love in Santa Barbara, to becoming an adopted member of the Beach Boys touring band (singing Carl and Brian's parts), to helping Brian rediscover his genius, is one of the great untold stories of rock and roll (IMO).

Personally, I don't know if Brian would have ever done a Pet Sounds tour, or finished the SMiLE album if he hadn't had Jeff around as a friend, musical director, and "lean-on-me" kind of guy. He might have done all that without him. But I don't think so.

Jeff himself would never talk in such terms. He just feels like one of the luckiest guys alive, which he is. But besides being a great musician, singer and songwriter, he's a real mensch. So he plays his part, stays in the background, and keeps his mouth shut -- except when he sings.

LCK

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Notice how the best humor is "timely"? Not just "good timing" -- though that's important -- but "it just happened" humor. Preferably "this very day." Just watched the best recent example. But where to share it? Why in the six week old "Friday Influences" Lee titled "HA" of course! Which has 2,000 more "views" than this clip. But it was posted only a few hours ago. My kind of humor. Yours too?

[video=youtube;3zTW6Ekqn-4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3zTW6Ekqn-4

Archived