Friday Influences Thread! 06-22-12 HAH!

Lee Knight

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is my all-time favorite "Friday Influences" (until this time next week?)

It helps that I can relate (and love) every single "influence" here -- and recite (sing) in its entirety, and at full-tempo,

"Well ya got trouble my friends, right here in River City . . . Why sure, I'm a 'billiard' player -- mighty proud to say it, yes, I'm mighty proud to say: I consider the hours I spend with a cue in my hand are GOLDEN (helps to cultivate horse sense, and a cool head and a keen eye) Say, D'ja ever try to establish an iron-clad lead for yourself, with a three-rail billiard shot? But just as I say it takes judgement, brains and the ability to score in the baulk line game, I say that any FOOL can take and shove a ball in any pocket. And I call that 'slaughter,' first-big-step-on-the-road-to the depths of degradation . . . Ya got trouble my friends!! . . ."

(Sorry. I get carried away sometimes.) I'm actually here to post something you've never seen or heard in your life . . . but maybe should have:

I'd been searching (in vain) a moment ago, for a Johnny Mercer tune sung by Bette Midler, and happened on this long-forgotten video

• Members

Only because it's the very next offering at YouTube -- and the fact that Bette Midler does the only modern version of this song that does it justice! Life was simpler then -- but not for musician/singers! (We now return to our regularly-scheduled programming.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2pfCFU3Mqww

2.68 million "views" and this most recent "Top Comment":

im 15 and I'd heard my grandma talk about or sing these songs all my life but then my choir? did this song as part of a 40s style cabaret and I've been in love with it, and all the other classics ever since!

rocketsparklegirl 2 weeks ago

• Members

"And they said I was too uptown for the tots."

-- Sideshow Bob -- after taking over the "Krusty the Klown" show ("Krusty Gets Busted")

Or, as Mark Twain used to say, What this joint needs is a little culture.

Though the Norah Jones song (I loved it) didn't remind this Great American Songbook nut in the slightest of my favorite Gus Kahn/Walter Donaldson song, Makin' Whoopee' (the melody lines are different, on every upturn and downturn, beginning to end

• Members

If you listened to that tune for the very first time, I guarantee it will stay with you: It's the strongest melody (I think) Bill Evans ever wrote! Evans' second great bass player, now grown old, Chuck Israels would agree.

Chuck stays 'young at heart,' surrounding himself with musicians young enough to be his sons. Here, his latest 'orchestra' performs SHOW-TYPE TUNE at my new favorite bakery (just from the sound of it --

Archived