Best Guitar Amp for Noise Music?

• Members

So I currently have a Peavey Mace Combo and a Music Man HD-130 head with a G-Flex 2x12. Both amps were very cheap, except there was rat turds in the Mace and I had to give it a good cleaning. Anyway my rig is this:

Contact Microphone/Guitar -> Digitech Jam Man -> PodXT Live -> Amps

I play Sonic Youth/Merzbow noise type stuff. Is there a good all-tube amp that would take the abuse I give to it or should I just stick with my hybrids? I like the two amps because I figure they both have a lot of headroom.

• Members

price range

you probably just want an amp that takes pedals like a champ.

When you say abuse do you mean actual physical abuse? (moving the amp)

Well the Peavey Mace can take physical abuse because it's so cheap but I mean sonically, the patches I have on the PodXT have a lot wider frequency range than your normal guitar sound.

Anything 500 bucks or below used is a good price. I have a Tremoverb also but don't want to use it for noise stuff.

• Members

Well the Peavey Mace can take physical abuse because it's so cheap but I mean sonically, the patches I have on the PodXT have a lot wider frequency range than your normal guitar sound.

Anything 500 bucks or below used is a good price. I have a Tremoverb also but don't want to use it for noise stuff.

You probably are going to want a clear, non tube amp if you are running a lot through it. I personally think that recto would work great with some good pedals.

I'm pretty sure you can't damage the amp but more so the speakers from that kind of noise.

• Members

Man, it's been a long time since I heard anyone talk about Merzbow...

For that kind of thing, I really don't think it matters. In fact, I would look for shitty and loud. Maybe something with blown speakers... I guess that wouldn't work for the Sonic Youth end of the spectrum though.

Yeah, what grunge said, something that takes pedals well.