SYNCHRONIZING & QUANTIZING - MIDI

BOOTH

• Members

I have an issue ive been trying to figure out for a LONG time. I need some advice and direction. I own a macbook, but id rather not use it on stage. Maybe I need different gear or maybe it can't be done at all.

I am a drummer, who also triggers loops and samples. While Drumming, I use a korg electribe ESX hooked up to a roland trigger midi converter (tmc-6) hooked up to a few v-drum pads (to trigger the samples). To stay in time with my electribe, I use a metronome set to the same tempo as the electribe. This works quite well in a sense, but if I am slightly ahead of the beat, or slightly behind, it shows. My metronome and electribe are not connected with MIDI clock. I know very little about MIDI clock and have a couple of questions about it.

#1. If i have my metronome as the master and my electribe as the slave, how can I bypass the start / stop function? I have to be able to turn the metronome on without triggering the sequence... or is that even possible?

#2. How can I trigger the sample and have it start at the same clocking interval as the master? Basically, I want to quantize the play button to the midi clock of the master. This would eliminate my problem of being slightly ahead or slghtly behind. Is that possible?

I also run into the problem of using pads to trigger my samples. The Roland Trigger Converter's MIDI out takes up my electribe's MIDI in to work properly.

Because I am listening to a metronome and starting a sequence of the same tempo from the BPM intervals I hear from the metronome, I am basically acting as the MIDI clock of the 2 devices. ....right? Will I find a more reliable, in-time answer?

THERE HAS TO BE AN WAY.

• 2 months later...

Archived