What happens if I power up my amp without power tubes?

ed_sped2

• Members

I never meant to imply that the OP was too stupid.

Admittedly, I wasn't the most clear in my response.

What I meant was that there's a pretty significant base of knowledge that he clearly lacks. Before he wishes to begin poking around inside of an amp that contains 500-ish volts, he should spend a significant amount of time reading up on the mechanics and operating principles. Right now, based on what I've read from his comments, it seems very likely that he'll put his multimeter in a place that could cause damage to himself or his amp.

There are a few months of research and learning that he needs to acquire before he goes poking around inside his amp, and one thread on one forum isn't going to be able to convey the amount of information that's needed to be even remotely safe.

• Members

I never meant to imply that the OP was too stupid.

Admittedly, I wasn't the most clear in my response.

What I meant was that there's a pretty significant base of knowledge that he clearly lacks. Before he wishes to begin poking around inside of an amp that contains 500-ish volts, he should spend a significant amount of time reading up on the mechanics and operating principles. Right now, based on what I've read from his comments, it seems very likely that he'll put his multimeter in a place that could cause damage to himself or his amp.

There are a few months of research and learning that he needs to acquire before he goes poking around inside his amp, and one thread on one forum isn't going to be able to convey the amount of information that's needed to be even remotely safe.

Wow. I love how an innocent question on HCAF blossoms into an apology/explanation!

No offense taken, Six. I don't have really any working knowledge of how to work on an amp, and the last thing I want to do is fry myself. If a retube/bias involves poking around in funny places with a multimeter, then I would surely leave it to a professional. I was just under the impression that biasing an amp was as simple as sticking the multimeter into designated points on the amp and adjusting an internal trim pot until the right bias level is achieved.

If it isn't really that simple, then I'll take it to a guy who knows exactly what to do and how to do it. If it is that simple, then I'd prefer to save myself a couple hundred bucks and homebrew it. Right now, it seems like it'd be best to drop the dough.

But, this does have me interested in reading up on how amps work. I've built a few BYOC pedal kits, and I think I'd like to take the next baby step into amateur electronics. I guess this is too big of a baby step to make safely. :idk:

• Members

If it isn't really that simple, then I'll take it to a guy who knows exactly what to do and how to do it. If it is that simple, then I'd prefer to save myself a couple hundred bucks and homebrew it. Right now, it seems like it'd be best to drop the dough.

It is that simple. You're just being warned that an amp that's holding a charge of several hundred volts can naturally hurt you. You aren't in danger if you take proper precaution and not doing things like poke the capacitor leads with your MM, which you'd have to reason to do anyhow.

You can watch some videos on youtube to see how biasing an amp typically goes.

19IUadZJf-c

Archived