What happens if I power up my amp without power tubes?

ed_sped2

• Members

So, I power up the amp with no power tubes in, and it doesn't blow a fuse. Problem identified, right? Bad power tube section. Is there a way that I can be sure its the power tubes without blowing a brand new quad of matched 6L6's?

Yes there is ... Take it to a tech. The new tubes need biased and the old tube(s) shorted may have opened up the bias circuit. Price you have to pay for a good tube amp ;)

• Members

Yes there is ... Take it to a tech. The new tubes need biased and the old tube(s) shorted may have opened up the bias circuit. Price you have to pay for a good tube amp
;)

Would these be things that I could check out on my own with a multimeter?

• Members

something to keep i mind is that without the power tubes loading the power supply, the B+ voltage can increase substantially. if it happens to exceed the rating of your filter caps, you have to spend more $$$$ to fix it.

i'd suggest only power the amp on without tubes for very short periods of time, if at all.

• Members

Not to be a jerk or anything, but if you could, you wouldn't need to ask.

For your own safety, take the amp to a tech.

So unless you're born with the knowledge, it isn't humanly possible? Don't know about anyone else, but there's been a first time for every thing I've ever done in my life, involving a "learn then apply" process.

I remember that people told me on this forum that if I had to ask how to bias my amp, that I should take it to a tech :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Glad I'm smarter than to take such "don't even try to learn" bits of "advice." They probably all come from amp techs hoping to make money off such people, anyhow.

• Members

So unless you're born with the knowledge, it isn't humanly possible? Don't know about anyone else, but there's been a first time for every thing I've ever done in my life, involving a "learn then apply" process.

I remember that people told me on this forum that if I had to ask how to bias my amp, that I should take it to a tech
:facepalm:
Glad I'm smarter than to take such "don't even try to learn" bits of "advice." They probably all come from amp techs hoping to make money off such people, anyhow.

Oh. :eek::o OH! :cry:

• Members

:lol:
I mean nothing harsh towards Sixtonoize, I just think that asking how to do something is a step towards being able to do it, rather than a sign that they can't.

You're missing the elephant in the room. When he said "For your own safety" some how you read that as "you're too stupid to learn how to do it so don't even bother" when in reality he meant "you could kill yourself best leave it to a pro"

• Members

You're missing the elephant in the room. When he said "For your own safety" some how you read that as "you're too stupid to learn how to do it so don't even bother" when in reality he meant "you could kill yourself best leave it to a pro"

Doesn't change a thing. By the same token, a pro could also kill themselves.

You missed the "if you could, you wouldn't need to ask" premise that was the rationale for latter advice. And I was told the same thing about biasing my amp, that if I have to ask then I should take it to a tech for my own safety's sake. Nothing was missed on my part, it's just a :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: thing to say.

• Members

Obviously, since you equate a person asking how something's done as an indication of an inability to take proper precaution when doing referred to action -which is anther form of a "you're too stupid to..." implication.

As I said, by the same token a pro could kill themselves. As long as the OP knows to let the charge deplete from his amp before poking around, and to not touch things like the underside of caps, there's no reason why he'd be any more at risk than a pro.

Archived