why does peavey make their own speakers?

boatshoes

• Members

I'm going to guess that 75% of the people on this forum who jump on the Bash Peavey speaker band wagon, never have even played through a Peavey speaker loaded cab.

Not saying thier speakers are any good, just that most products considered good or bad by a few on this forum are simply being echo'd by the rest based only on reading the others comments.

my VTM sounded insane through a XXX 4x12..it made my 6505+ sound like poopy.

• Members

my VTM sounded insane through a XXX 4x12..it made my 6505+ sound like poopy.

When I bought my Engl Fireball, I tried some different cabs at different stores, and to be honest, I loved how the Fireball sounded on top of the XXX 4x12. A lot better than the 2x12 Celestion CL80 loaded cab that I ended up ordering from Avatar.

Cole

• Members

i had a 412ms cab with sheffields that i played for years, and never thought much of it. i had an opportunity to pick up a 1960a w/g12t75's for cheap. the difference was night and day. i'm not really great at describing tones, but it literally sounded like a thick rug had been removed from in front of the speakers.

so to answer OP's question: probably because they're dirt ass cheap :)

• Members

NO doubt they make good cabs. They never had any deals with good speakers.

Even in the 80's. I remember an Awesome cab they made. It was built right into a Road case. Awesome , second to none construction. The speakers were every bit as crappy as they are today, though.

Some older Carvin Cabs had the same deal. I don't know what they use know.

• Members
because 99.99% of people bash them on this forum, including myself...

but why do they insist on loading their cabs with them
:confused:

do they make more money this way even though they have the {censored}tiest reputation for speakers...

I think you're possibly confusing HCAF with reality.

• Thanks 1

• Members

What speakers are good? The 5150 speakers are known for being horrible, the XXX speakers are thin sounding and aren't all that wonderful, and no one really ever talks about the JSX cab or plays it but the few clips I heard weren't inspiring.

Wrong. A/B/Ced Vintage 30 against XXX and JSX.

The XXX is a more open, fatter version of the V30. Very punchy.

The JSX is a great 100watt greenback style clone. I can veryify that it can get _the_ satriani sound. Has that "papery" top end. He absolutely used stock JSX cabs for his G3 tours. JSX speakers are not as punchy, better rock speakers than metal.

Used to own a 412M sheffield and it was a 12-75 clone. Didnt record with it though, but im sure its very workable.

Peavey speakers and cabs are great. 99% of the players on this forum are {censored} players and have {censored} ears, and dont have recording studios set up to A/B speakers.

I record loud and really find what speakers will do. Its all about your taste and the whole chain. Peavey speakers are great choices.

• Thanks 1

• Members

Peavey can control consistency a lot better when making speakers in house. Almost no Celestions are made in England anymore, almost all come from China and the quality is very suspect, IMO. It's also funny that people will take an Eminence out of a Peavey amp and replace it with an Eminence.

• Like 1

• Members

Peavey can control consistency a lot better when making speakers in house. Almost no Celestions are made in England anymore, almost all come from China and the quality is very suspect, IMO. It's also funny that people will take an Eminence out of a Peavey amp and replace it with an Eminence.

Correction, they take a bad sounding Eminence out to replace it with a better sounding Eminence.

• 11 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Members

I used to have a fairly low opinion of Peavey stuff, but over time, using different products, I find that they are just like any other brand, they have some really good products, and some not so good products.  You have to try them out.  As far as speakers go, there was a thread somewhere that had Hartley Peavey talking about why they started making their own speakers and the reason was that customers were blowing out speakers left and right and returning the amps under warranty and killing their profits.  So they got a former Eminence worker to come there and design speakers for them that wouldn't blow out easily.  I have found that the Black widow speakers, with the edge wound coils, are competitive with JBL D130's and D140's.  although they can still blow out over time, the JBL's do too.  And I also found that the 12" speakers in the Valve King amplifiers are excellent for guitar, they are not quite as bright as the Black Widows and they are very good for guitar and the frequency range of guitars.