why does peavey make their own speakers?

boatshoes

• Members

because they can.

a lot of people bash their speakers just because they are peavey speakers, not because they're bad speakers. many of them are actually pretty good.

What speakers are good? The 5150 speakers are known for being horrible, the XXX speakers are thin sounding and aren't all that wonderful, and no one really ever talks about the JSX cab or plays it but the few clips I heard weren't inspiring.

• Members

What speakers are good? The 5150 speakers are known for being horrible, the XXX speakers are thin sounding and aren't all that wonderful, and no one really ever talks about the JSX cab or plays it but the few clips I heard weren't inspiring.

I actually think whatever they put in the classic series combos sound decent... otherwise, I have to agree... most sound like ass.

• Members

the 10s in the classic 50 410 are good. the 12s in the 5150 cabs are quite good also - maybe not if you tune down to Z and play "brootal" metal alone in a bedroom, but they're actually good rock speakers. the 12 they stick in the bandit is a great match for that amp, too. their black widow cast-frame guitar speakers are generally well liked for clean tones, and their bass speakers are pretty well respected.

really, speakers are not rocket science. it's just a metal basket with a magnet, a coil, some paper and some cloth. they build them about as well as anyone else. way too many dudes worry about the sticker on the back more than what something actually sounds like.

• Like 1

• Members

This. The Sheffield 1200's (5150 cab stock speakers) are usually considered their best, and those are horrible. Peavey definitely does not make good sounding speakers IMO.

• Members
because they can.

a lot of people bash their speakers just because they are peavey speakers, not because they're bad speakers. many of them are actually pretty good.

:thu: Scorpions and BWs especially are great values in speakers. As for guitar speakers, they are on par with the budget Eminence and similar that companies like Fender, etc, use.

• Members

the 10s in the classic 50 410 are good. the 12s in the 5150 cabs are quite good also - maybe not if you tune down to Z and play "brootal" metal alone in a bedroom, but they're actually good rock speakers. the 12 they stick in the bandit is a great match for that amp, too. their black widow cast-frame guitar speakers are generally well liked for clean tones, and their bass speakers are pretty well respected.

really, speakers are not rocket science. it's just a metal basket with a magnet, a coil, some paper and some cloth. they build them about as well as anyone else. way too many dudes worry about the sticker on the back more than what something actually sounds like.

No..it's pretty standard understanding that you DON'T want a 5150. I think the 412MS cabs are the ones people generally like, but that's the only cab people look for regarding Peavey. Notice you never see anyone playing a Peavey cab unless it just completes the halfstack model. No one buys a Bogner,Krank, Recto, etc and then buys a Peavey cab for it's sound quality. Their speakers suck and it may not be "rocket science" to build a speaker but there's something to be said for making a good one because Peavey has yet to do it.

• Members

MOST guitar players don't even recognize how important speakers are.

i think the better question is: if peavey insists on making their own speakers, why don't they make them sound good?

just curious...what is your favorite speaker with the titan?

when you were building the amp did you test it through different cabs?

• Members

I'm going to guess that 75% of the people on this forum who jump on the Bash Peavey speaker band wagon, never have even played through a Peavey speaker loaded cab.

Not saying thier speakers are any good, just that most products considered good or bad by a few on this forum are simply being echo'd by the rest based only on reading the others comments.

• Members

I'm going to guess that 75% of the people on this forum who jump on the Bash Peavey speaker band wagon, never have even played through a Peavey speaker loaded cab.

Not saying thier speakers are any good, just that most products considered good or bad by a few on this forum are simply being echo'd by the rest based only on reading the others comments.

I own a JSX, I've had a XXX, my next amp will be a 6505+ and I'm a diehard Peavey fan. I've tried the 5150 cabs, and the XXX cabs and they left MUCH to be desired. Not to mention clips of these cabs don't really speak to their favor either. I haven't tried the JSX cab, and I'd like to if I can track one down, but going from owners who have had them, and hearing them..they ain't all that great. Peavey makes a lot of "diamond" gear. You gotta break some rock and do some polishing before the stuff really shines. I suppose the cabs go the same way. Construction wise they're fine, but the speakers aren't good. Swap them out and you have something, especially with the JSX cab and it's features.

• Members

just curious...what is your favorite speaker with the titan?

when you were building the amp did you test it through different cabs?

depends on what i want to do with it. as the sole guitar player, i like a mix of V30s and H30s. in a 2 guitar player environment, i prefer just V30s because i let the other guy have the low end and i cut through the mix.

my rig right now is a cerberus through an avatar 2x12 w/WGS V30s and a GP3 though a mosvalve power amp into an avatar 2x12 w/V30 H30 combo. i have the amps dialed in so that the cerberus gets the high mids and the GP3 gets the low mids, and the speakers help create that separation.

• Members

i owned a 5150 cab :poke:

i am fairly familiar with most celestion speakers on the market nowadays and have tried a decent amount of them compared to peavey cabs i have played like the windsor, xxx, jsx, and 5150/6505.

• Members

i owned a 5150 cab :poke:

i am fairly familiar with most celestion speakers on the market nowadays and have tried a decent amount of them compared to peavey cabs i have played like the windsor, xxx, jsx, and 5150/6505.

Wasn't so much talking about you guys, just the whole Forums concensus being based on the few who have actually used them.

• Members

MOST guitar players don't even recognize how important speakers are.

i think the better question is: if peavey insists on making their own speakers, why don't they make them sound good?

+1 :thu:

... Oh, and my #1 cab is a Peavey 412 MS, but it's from the old series, it's got Celestion G12K85s (AKA G12K100) inside...

• Members

In the late 1960's and early 1970's most speaker manufacturers simply weren't producing enough of high power speakers that could handle the increased output power of amplifiers. Peavey had several issues with failures of JBL and Altec-Lansing speakers that simply didn't last in the high-powered amps.

Peavey tried to acquire more robust speakers from few places but it didn't work out too well. Eminence, whose speakers Peavey had used for long time, didn't at the time want to start manufacturing such speakers. Electro-Voice had such designs but the company refused to deliver Peavey's order and eventually decided to do no business with Peavey.

Now, it's a pretty tough task to try manufacturing amps if you can't source reliable speakers from anywhere. Especially from some dependable source. Thus Hartley decided that they should simply start making the speakers themselves. It was almost a neccessity. There was no other choice.

It just happened that some former Electro-Voice employees stepped up and proposed a business deal where Peavey would setup their own speaker factory. Peavey would provide funding and required stuff, the designers their knowhow. They created the Black Widow speakers.

Peavey speakers are not neccessarily prefererred by guitarists but one must keep in mind that Peavey didn't and doesn't manufacture guitar amps only. At the time when the speakers were an issue Peavey was also one of the leading suppliers of PA amps and PA speaker systems. Even if the Peavey speakers weren't the best for guitars they were good and reliable choice for PA's. And besides, what else could they have used? They didn't have any other options at the time.

I think that since then there hasn't been too many reasons why they should change that plan now. As for their tone... I guess that's subjective. There are thousands of people who say that even all Peavey amps sound crappy so maybe their ideal of tone simply just doesn't correlate with each and every person.

• Like 1

• Members

Right. :facepalm: I've owned a 5150 4x12 slant that I ran over $10,000 worth of amps through over a span of around 7 years. The consensus that they suck is absolutely right IMO. In fact, that might be the single worst sounding piece of gear I've owned in my 11 years of playing.