Techno/Dance DJ's-please HELP!

kenlacam

• Members

Hi there-

I am a keyboardist with a korg triton who LOVES techno and dance music. I was recently watching a video of DJ Tiesto, a song called "Elements of Life". It has really inspired me to write some new material. My question is this:

Do you have preset records that you spin? How do you create new dance tunes and spin them? Are they created on groove machines, then laid to vinyl? I'm very interested in knowing the process.

Thanks!

• Members

If you want to DJ your own stuff, then the options are:

1. use Ableton Live (a DAW with live performance/groovebox features) for both creation and live play

2. use whatever DAW or other gear works to create the tune, then play it using a mp3 DJ app or DJ media player - for eg NI Tracktor, Serato, or some other software DJ mix app, or even a hardware digital media player for DJs.

3. burn the mp3 to a CD as an mp3 file and play it off a pioneer CDJ CD deck (or mp3 other capable CD deck - CDJ-1000 mk3 is what your mostly likely to find in a club and they support CBR MP3 files on CD).

4. burn the original wav file fromo your DAW (or whatever) to CD and DJ that that off a CD deck

5. Get your track properly mastered for vinyl and get a few plates made - play it off a turntable (a bit pricey and pointless these days unless you particularly like DJing off vinyl and otehrwise earn loads of loot from it).

6. release it on vinyl through a label and play that off a turntable.

Option 1 is the most practical for someone who is just a producer.

Options 2 to 4 are the most practical for someone who is allready a DJ.

Personally I use options 1 through 4 - I use Ableton Live 7 to produce in studio (using mostly hardware synths etc) and sometimes do a Live set on a PC based laptop from within it, or use NI Tracktor 3 (and now the new Tracktor pro) off the same laptop with a vestax VCI-100 controller, or I stick it on CD as either an mp3 file, or as an audio track for playing off a CDJ-1000 mk3 which can cope with either so long as you dont use VBR encoded mp3 files - I allways encode at 320Kbps CBR.

If you have never DJd off vinyl or CD - ie no idea how to beat match, then the only reason you would need to learn is to play off existing club gear, otherwise stick with your laptop and a decent DJ orientated audio interface and suitable controller for either your DJ software of choice, or Ableton Live. Personally, even when using a laptop live, I like to have other options range from CDs to an Ipod in case something goes horibly wrong with the laptop - yes - I have had a laptop crash and rfuse to boot live - firtunately I had a premixed version of the entire set on an Ipod and allready plugged in just in case - I always do that as a last resort backup in case of other failures...

Finally - you aint going to reproduce Elements of Life with a Triton - Urgh! - I suggest something Like Ableton Live and a bunch of soft synths as a cheaper way of getting suitable sounds.

Archived