Peavey 6505+ question..Low and Resonance seem to do nothing at all?

maf2k8

• Members

I played a 6505+ head a few times a GC a few times and i was blown away and how good it sounded. It was going thru a 4x12 cab. I think it was a Peavey cab but i am not certain.

Anyways, I picked up a used one off craigslist last week. Now he had it going thru a Peavey cab ( which i heard are not the best ) and i didnt really play it, just tested out the knobs and made sure is was working ( hit a few chords here and there on his guitar and ran thru the controls ) . I noticed that the Tone and Resonance ( bass controls ) did almost NOTHING to the sound.

I brought it to my place and hooked it up to my 2x12 Marshall 1936 cab with V30s. I did get a little more Tone/Bass from it but not all that much.

I could have sworn when i played the one at GC i had to actually have the tone/Res turned down a bit because it was almost to much.

Now the controls do WORK on my amp, i can hear a "slight" difference but its barely anything at all. ( i use a MXR eq and it fixes the problem ) but without the eq it really lacks bass/tone.

I love the sound i get out of the head dont get me wrong, but it just seems to be lacking that BOOM.

Not having any experience with 6505+'s or any Peavey for that matter, Is this normal? or could this be a Tube/mechanical issue?

I have no idea when the tubes where changed out but i will take a wild guess and say never. and the head is dated 2003. I never crank it past 3 and i am not sure if this guy who owned it last played out or bedroom played.

I do not crank it ( volume at about 10 oclock/1/4 of the way )

Was curious if there is an issue ? or if this is how the amp is?

I was thinking about getting some new tubes but dont really wanna drop 100+ dollars if its not going to fix the issue.

• Members

Needs new power tubes. That will make an amp sound weak every time. The presence and resonance controls are directly linked to the power amp, which is why they aren't very responsive.

I have a brand new set of Sovtek 5881WXT's that I'll sell for $45 shipped if you don't want to drop big money on tubes.

• Members

Get yourself a good set of winged =C= 6l6's. Well worth the money and the amp will be all you dreamed. Were you playing the same guitar at GC and when you tested your amp that you bought out? Also you have no idea what tubes were in the store demo that you tried.

• 10 years later...

Archived