MINI REVIEW: WGS Veteran 30, British Lead, ET65 & Retro 30 speaker mixes...

firejack018

• Members

After a few trials of different speaker mixes, I have found that the Veteran 30 x British Lead mix is where it's at for me.

I first got these two speakers on James Peters recommendation when I purchased my Gryphon from him, but I've since tried a few different speaker mixes and I always come back to the Vet30 x British Lead mix...

British Lead x Veteran 30

Very well-rounded mix for many different styles of music.

Creamy and thick in all the right places while still keeping the low-end tight.

Sounds great at all volume levels.

Cleans are almost perfect for my tastes. Just lacking the tiniest bit of sparkle.

So if there was just a bit more sparkle in the highs for clean tones, this would be the absolute perfect speaker mix for me.

But the overdriven tones are where this speaker mix really shines, especially the hi-gain rhythm and lead tones.

ET65 x Veteran 30

I tried the ET65 in place of the British Lead to try and get that little bit of extra sparkle that I felt my clean tones were lacking.

Very 3-dimensional sounding mix.

Complex and rich mids with tight, punchy lows.

I really thought this mix was the winner until I started hearing a zing in the highs when I was playing single-notes or soloing.

Drove myself bat{censored} crazy trying to dial it out.

This zing in the highs makes for amazing clean and rhythm tones, but just wasn't my cup-of-tea for lead tones.

Retro 30 x Veteran 30

After going back to the Vet 30 x British Lead mix and being more than happy with my tones, I decided to go in search of that sparkle that I thought was missing from my clean tones.

The Retro 30 x Veteran 30 mix has a very focused and aggressive tone with prominent mids and very tight bass.

The sparkle that I wanted for my clean tones was there, but it comes at a price. This speaker mix lacks the warmth and richness that the British lead x Veteran 30 has.

Still, the Retro 30 x Veteran 30 is a very good speaker mix if you are looking for aggressive tones and sparkly cleans.

I especially liked the crunch tones from this mix.

:)

• Members

After a few trials of different speaker mixes, I have found that the Veteran 30 x British Lead mix is where it's at for me.

I first got these two speakers on James Peters recommendation when I purchased my Gryphon from him, but I've since tried a few different speaker mixes and I always come back to the Vet30 x British Lead mix...

British Lead x Veteran 30

Very well-rounded mix for many different styles of music.

Creamy and thick in all the right places while still keeping the low-end tight.

Sounds great at all volume levels.

Cleans are almost perfect for my tastes. Just lacking the tiniest bit of sparkle.

So if there was just a bit more sparkle in the highs for clean tones, this would be the absolute perfect speaker mix for me.

But the overdriven tones are where this speaker mix really shines, especially the hi-gain rhythm and lead tones.

ET65 x Veteran 30

I tried the ET65 in place of the British Lead to try and get that little bit of extra sparkle that I felt my clean tones were lacking.

Very 3-dimensional sounding mix.

Complex and rich mids with tight, punchy lows.

I really thought this mix was the winner until I started hearing a zing in the highs when I was playing single-notes or soloing.

Drove myself bat{censored} crazy trying to dial it out.

This zing in the highs makes for amazing clean and rhythm tones, but just wasn't my cup-of-tea for lead tones.

Retro 30 x Veteran 30

After going back to the Vet 30 x British Lead mix and being more than happy with my tones, I decided to go in search of that sparkle that I thought was missing from my clean tones.

The Retro 30 x Veteran 30 mix has a very focused and aggressive tone with prominent mids and very tight bass.

The sparkle that I wanted for my clean tones was there, but it comes at a price. This speaker mix lacks the warmth and richness that the British lead x Veteran 30 has.

Still, the Retro 30 x Veteran 30 is a very good speaker mix if you are looking for aggressive tones and sparkly cleans.

I especially liked the crunch tones from this mix.

:)

How long did you give the ET65 to break in? I broke it in quickly by playing music through it for a day with the speakers facing the floor. By the second day it was well broke in, and any zing/excessive tightness was gone, replace by a rich warmth, and clear sparkling treble. In fact I'd say the ET65 has more bass, more treble, and more relaxed mids than the Vet, and the Vet brings nice but tight bass and lots of aggressive mids.

• Members

How long did you give the ET65 to break in? I broke it in quickly by playing music through it for a day with the speakers facing the floor. By the second day it was well broke in, and any zing/excessive tightness was gone, replace by a rich warmth, and clear sparkling treble. In fact I'd say the ET65 has more bass, more treble, and more relaxed mids than the Vet, and the Vet brings nice but tight bass and lots of aggressive mids.

I kept it in my cab for a couple months and was playing at band levels during rehearsals and live performance twice a week.

Also played it extensively at home.

I didn't notice the zinginess at first because it's very subtle, but once I did I couldn't unhear it if that makes sense.

• 1 month later...

Archived