Solo boost mod in the U.K.?

symeboy

• Members

Does anyone know of any amp techs in the U.K. that are able to modify amps to have a footswitchable solo boost?

I used to have one on my Mesa, but now I own a vintage JCM800 2210 I miss that feature.

I have just bought a footswitchable attenuator that can be bypassed for solos but Im not sure about it as it sucks alot of the original tone.

Im no good at electronics but I'd like to learn a bit, would this be difficult to do?

Thanks, S

• Members

Hi i have just had that exact same mod done to my Soldano Avenger. i it was done by
www.guitaraid.co.uk
in Fulham London. The guy did an excellent job, very neat and tidy and with a good turnaround time and great customer service. I can't recommend highly enough.

Dom

+1 for Greg, he has not done anything for me, but fixed my mates Carvin.

• Members

Ha yeah!

I have emailed both of them, Ive never been to Southend! Reckon it is probably pretty grim...

Cheers peeps!

Its great if you like to see Hookers by the sea and the needles and crack pipes swim past you in the sea... it used to be nice 15 years ago, now it just makes me sad :( check out PMT while your there its not a bad shop at all.

• Members

Ha yeah!

I have emailed both of them, Ive never been to Southend! Reckon it is probably pretty grim...

Cheers peeps!

lol grim, yes, as Neil said it used to be nice, I live quite near it. I used to live about 3 mins away from where EMS is, that was very handy!

• Members

"PMT" whats that? (other than the obvious!)

Hey Mark i like the look of your setup! how do you rate the eminence speakers? I am a V30 fan and have a little mesa 1x12 with a v30 in it, sounds mint!

Looking forward to my lovely day by the sea with the crack whores, cheers!

• Members

"PMT" whats that? (other than the obvious!)

Hey Mark i like the look of your setup! how do you rate the eminence speakers? I am a V30 fan and have a little mesa 1x12 with a v30 in it, sounds mint!

Looking forward to my lovely day by the sea with the crack whores, cheers!

PMT is Professional music Technology, big guitar shop in Southend, if fact they have store all over now, i'll sometimes go in there, but they {censored}ed up a repair on an old strat of mine, so I don't go in there much.

I love the Eminence speakers the Private Jacks were what I was always after a higher watt Greenback, I've tried so many speakers and just love the Eminence stuff the Wizzard and Guvenor sound great as well, but I slightly favour the Private Jacks, my little old 1x12 might end up in the spam I only used it with my HT-5, but it's handy to have around the place.

• Members

Hi i have just had that exact same mod done to my Soldano Avenger. i it was done by
www.guitaraid.co.uk
in Fulham London. The guy did an excellent job, very neat and tidy and with a good turnaround time and great customer service. I can't recommend highly enough.

Dom

+1 for Greg at Guitar Aid. I drive about 3 hrs round trip to have my gear worked on by him. Great tech. and real nice guy.

• Members

PMT is
, big guitar shop in Southend, if fact they have store all over now, i'll sometimes go in there, but they {censored}ed up a repair on an old strat of mine, so I don't go in there much.

I love the Eminence speakers the Private Jacks were what I was always after a higher watt Greenback, I've tried so many speakers and just love the Eminence stuff the Wizzard and Guvenor sound great as well, but I slightly favour the Private Jacks, my little old 1x12 might end up in the spam I only used it with my HT-5, but it's handy to have around the place.

I have an HT-5 too, its quite nice but i usually end up shredding on the marshall, its just nicer all round.

Might look into those private jacks you mentioned

• Members

I have an HT-5 too, its quite nice but i usually end up shredding on the marshall, its just nicer all round.

Might look into those private jacks you mentioned

Very cool, the Private Jacks love Marshall, if you going down that route I recommend Blue Arran. I've brought all my Eminence stuff from those guys. They are doing The Governor 12" for half price, I just ordered another one.

• Members

will look into that.

Greg got back to me, very helpful. Now I just have to decide where I want to route the controls for the solo boost.

He suggested a concentric master volume nob, inner for master and outer for solo boost, which I like. Then I have the choice of using one of the jacks on the fx loop or one of the speaker outs for the footswitch input.

Cant decide yet, on one hand I never use the fx loop because there is too much hum, but on the other hand it might be a problem that could be fixed.

Again I only have one cab, but I plan to be an international rockstar :lol: so I might end up using the other speaker out...

decisions decisions....

Archived