best 4x12 for metal/hard rock

symeboy

• Members

In a couple of months I plan to buy either a 2x12 or a 4x12.

I play active pickups into a modded marshall JCM800 2210 (high gain preamp with KT88's) and like a percussive strong mid range pick attack tone, like helloween, priest etc.

I really love the V30 in my 1x12, great mid range response, just sounds way better than the V60 and GT100 I have tried and I used to own a marshall 4x12 with GT75s and really didnt like them, really harsh upper mids.

So I guess I want a 4x12 with V30's or something similar. Im hoping a 4x12 will provide a little bit more bass than my 1x12, but even though Im into metal, im not really into downtuned bassy, hard to hear live tones!

Any recommendations? any price range, but i live in the U.K. so cant get Avatar or other U.S. makes easily.

• Members

Hey if you're anywhere near me I'm selling a Basson 4x12. I went to a hardrock show recently and 3 out of the 5 bands were using bassons. They sound excellent

Its a really sweet cab, but it doesn't fit in my little 4 door haha

• Members

oooh! you can get an engl cab with V30s? I thought they just had V60s...

The Engl Standard Cabs come with V60s

The Engl Pro Cabs come with either V30s or Greenbacks. The Pro cabs are made from much better materials and as a consequence are dearer - but also sound a whole lot better. Great cabs IMO.

• Members

that mesa stiletto looks like the business, I cant get avatar over here.

would like to hear a shoot out between that engl and that mesa

Oh... you're over the pond haha

It'd be Bangor Pennsylvania so I guess we're not close :poke:

• Members

in before mills crowd.

haha MILLS afterburner is great for metal/heavy metal etc etc but generally any genre depending on what its loaded with.

But tbh...as a MILLS owner myself, there isnt enough of a difference to spend the extra $$, at least IMO. I love my MILLS but I think i'd be equally happy with bogner/ENGL/VHT/etc.

so a definite +1 to ENGL pro w/v30s, MILLS afterburner, or even a VHT fatbottom (they sound killer too!)

• Members

Cool, mills afterburner looks like its another US only deal. Really not a fan of 75's btw.

so the ENGL and the Stiletto are the same price over here and if they are worth it i can see myself spending that much.

Can anyone comment on the difference in the specs and how this would translate into tone

ENGL 74x75x36, 50kg

MESA 76x76x36, 45kg

Man I am going to have to start working out if I want to be able to lift them!

• Members

I just ordered a 6505 cab, in fact it should arrive today. Although some people here don't like this particular cab, it got some good reviews in the HC user review forum. Seems like a decent match for my 5150. If it comes today, I'll report back and let you know if it is worth it.

• Members

I just ordered a 6505 cab, in fact it should arrive today. Although some people here don't like this particular cab, it got some good reviews in the HC user review forum. Seems like a decent match for my 5150. If it comes today, I'll report back and let you know if it is worth it.

:facepalm: No..no it's not worth it. Change the speakers at your earliest convenience or get a new cab,.

Archived