Any love for Sheffield 1290 speakers?

Wicked_Tone

• Members

I just picked up a Peavey 4x12 cab that has front mounted 1290 speakers today for a good price. I'm a fan of Celestion G12H-30s and Vintage 30s, as well as some of the Eminence speaker models, but these speakers are quite good for a heavy bottom end sound and handle that raw, angry crunch my Orange Rocker 30 head delivers. Is there anyone else who enjoys this model speaker?

IMG_2863.jpg

• Members

If you like scooped, bassy, fizzy tone then yea.

They are like nuttless g12t75s.

I love stoner rock and this speaker really works out well for this style. I've owned just about every model of Celestion speaker except for Alnico Blues and Greenbacks, but to me the Sheffields sound great! To each they're own. It's just another palette of sound for me to use other than my Vintage 30 equipped Orange cab. :facepalm:

• Members

If you like scooped, bassy, fizzy tone then yea.

They are like nuttless g12t75s.

Not even in the same league! Quit scooping your fuckin midz and 75's won't sound like shit! :facepalm:

Sheffields on the other hand, sounds like blanket over a Gorilla amp!

• Members

they are both still scooped and fizzy

If it's a fizzy amp, the 75's are fizzy. They sound GREAT with several amps I've tried though.

The sheffields seem to suffer from the same shortcoming of most Peavey speakers I've heard though: too much high end without particularly being bright, and a complete lack of bass.

• Members

That clip was a 6505+ so yes fizzy one fizzy.

T75s are rather aggressive, at least too aggressive for me. They are good for amps with little tone control, like older Marshalls, Todays amps have bigger tone sweeps and dont need the extra scoop.

For the record I never said 1290s or T75s sounded like {censored} or suck. I just like CL80s or V30s better.

• Members

That clip was a 6505+ so yes fizzy one fizzy.

T75s are rather aggressive, at least too aggressive for me. They are good for amps with little tone control, like older Marshalls, Todays amps have bigger tone sweeps and dont need the extra scoop.

For the record I never said 1290s or T75s sounded like shit or suck. I just like CL80s or V30s better.

I totally understand. There are many speakers to choose from and there will always be certain ones that are a like/dislike issue depending on what character your looking for as a player. For whatever reason, this particular set of 1290s has a nice smooth, crunchy character with a good blend of bottom and top end. I guess there are exceptions sometimes where a speaker ages or is broken in to a degree that causes it to sound more pleasing to the ear. :thu:

• Members

I bought my MS412 cab brand new around 01. Looks similar to yours. Mine had the red triangle and smoother tolex. I loved it and couldnt have cared less about other cabs. Then I got on HC.:facepalm: I still have the cab but traded the speakers. I have 1200s (5150 speakers) coming to fill it back up again. I also have 1230's in an open back cab. They are good but again a bit fizzy.

• Members

I bought my MS412 cab brand new around 01. Looks similar to yours. Mine had the red triangle and smoother tolex. I loved it and couldnt have cared less about other cabs. Then I got on HC.
:facepalm:
I still have the cab but traded the speakers. I have 1200s (5150 speakers) coming to fill it back up again. I also have 1230's in an open back cab. They are good but again a bit fizzy.

ha I was still playing a Marshall MG cab when I got on HC :lol:

I upgraded to my Windsor cab shortly thereafter, and I'm still pretty happy with it at least, but have since discovered stuff I like better.

• Members

Are those the Sheffields that come stock in the 5150 cab? If so, I've only heard them in a 5150 cab. That cab sounded like complete ass, but pretty much any speaker I put in it sounded horrible because the cab itself was so bad sounding. So I don't know what it would sound like in a good cab.

• Members

:cop: on Peavey speakers. Talk about a blanky on your sound... yuck.

maybe the older scorpeggians are worthy, but why bother with all the other good drivers out there?

peavey loaded cab = loud anonymous farts/all lowend/loose ass'd/no coagulated squirts to offer up the cut. peavey speakers + iwabo = sunny day real estate on cassette.

• Members

peavey speakers are {censored} full stop, i will be doing a review on them shortly. A/B/C/D ing the Sheffield, V30, GT-75 and the E-tone. With the zoom recorder about 3 meters away from all the speakers pointed directly at the mic and the sm57 lower to get something from the cones.

• Members

peavey speakers are {censored} full stop, i will be doing a review on them shortly. A/B/C/D ing the Sheffield, V30, GT-75 and the E-tone. With the zoom recorder about 3 meters away from all the speakers pointed directly at the mic and the sm57 lower to get something from the cones.

Cool, always into hearing comps like that.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

I recently got a Peavey 412 1290 Sheffield cab like this one, used for $175:

_c298098_image_0.jpg

First, I bought it to change the speakers for Celestion G12T100W or EVM-12L and sell the Sheffield 1290. It's a front-loaded cab so exactly what I need in terms of low frequency projection, so I thought it would be really good to put great speakers in it, and I think it would but when I tried it I really didn't mind keeping the Sheffields in! Why? Keep reading.

The cab I already had was a Marshall 1960a loaded with G12T75W ($350 used) and I must say that it sounds much louder and agressive than other cabs of the same kind that I've used, but at very high volumes it becomes so saturated that the agressiveness becomes loose, the speakers can't handle it and they end up sounding like V30 (not my kind of sound, too much mids, not enough shrump).

So when I got back I tried the Peavey 4x12 with Sheffield 1290 on my Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier (Maxon OD-9 boosted) and I must say that for a 75watt speaker it sounds completely different than the Celestion G12T75W :

- Less high frequencies

- Huge bass boost and tightness on in the lows, good low end response

- Holds lows at high volume better than the Celestion since it doesn't saturate as easily in the highs

- Doesn't turn to 100% mids when I turn up the volume, keeps the bass present and crisp, no mid muddiness

- As powerful and loud as the Celestion in my opinion

Since I like the saturated crunch sound of the Celestion and a LOT of low frequencies, I play them as a full stack with the Peavey 1290 direclty on the ground (sideways) to pump the bass into the floor, with the Marshall 1960 on top to project the crunchy saturated sound.

With that setup, it sounds huge and precise. For $175 I got a cab that works great with my setup, no need to spend $200 to $800 on new speakers like G12T100W or EVM-12L, really. I'll eventually build a custom cab with EVM-12L and I'll tell you how cool it is, but for now my setup is tight and powerful in every way.

Archived