My modded marshall rules ass!

symeboy

• Members

I owned a JCM800 2203 ages ago and sold it for mesa solo rec, becuase back then I thought it didnt have enough gain for me and it sounded really trebely. To be fair my guitar wasnt so great and I was playing through gt75s which I have decided I dont like.

Anyway, i recently decided to take the gamble and swap the mesa for a JCM800 2210. BEST DECISION EVER!

It rules.

It has been modded by a previous owner a bit (the solid state clipping diode has been bypassed), but I experimented and loaded it with 2 KT88s running at half power and a high gain preamp set from watford valves.

Now the buzzy fizz in the treble is gone (EL34 feature I imagine), the tone is more rounded and bigger sounding but still loads of pick attack and I have loads of gain! And I have a more clean sounding clean channel!

After cranking the preamp the other day I realised that it sounds so good that I dont even need overdrive, which is unheard of for me (being a massive TS/SD-1 fan).

The moral of the story is dont be scared to experiment :thu:

• Members

I want a modded 2203. I always will.

Shask, where did you get your kit from? I looked at a schematic from Ceriatone yesterday.

Mine was kind of half a Weber, half a Metro. I had a bunch of various parts I pieced together I got out of trades. I still had to "design" parts of it to make it work though.

As far as the mods, I just followed some basic ideas on the net and tweaked from there.

• Members
Mine was kind of half a Weber, half a Metro. I had a bunch of various parts I pieced together I got out of trades. I still had to "design" parts of it to make it work though.

As far as the mods, I just followed some basic ideas on the net and tweaked from there.

:thu:

I'll probably get something like this going this year some time.

• Members

I'll probably get something like this going this year some time.

I love mine, but obviously, the problem with building an amp, is you are always looking at it like "what if" :)

Older Fear Factory CD's are some of my favorite tones, so I have tried my best to make a "Demanufacture" head. It is pretty close :thu: But, I have also tried to keep it fairly similar to a stock Marshall design so it can do other tones as well.

Currently, gain around 2-4 will do a Green Day type crunch, gain around 5-7 is Fear Factory, modern Slayer, etc... Gain at 8 rivals a Mesa Mark series for compressed fluid tone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
"rules ass" sounds to me the same as "sucks penis".

Ha! yeah, i was trying to be "down with the kids".

So how about "the recent moddifications to my Marshall amplifier made a significant improvement to its functionality and tone; so much so that I felt compelled to convey my gratitute and satisfaction by making this information public on an internet forum, primarily as an act of smugness, but also as an altruistic deed so as others may gain knowledge from my experience.."

Better?
:lol:

• Members

clips or it's a gahdamn rectifier

btw, I've always been a greenback fanboy and a g12t75 hater, but my modded JMP sounds AWESOME through my stock 1960A

the mod is like a Bogner Shark x Strato x Shiva crossover with some personal tweaking

it's a bit too compressed right now (I'm using gain at 4), but it I'll ask my tech friend to lower it and also he will wire an extra tube for another channel (it already has an extra unused preamp socket, 2 extra unused holes in the front and a hole in the back for a footswitch or something)

Archived