A great melody first, then lyrics,(only) THEN 'vocals'

Mark Blackburn

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by blue2blue View Post
It's a funny world held together by interesting connections.
No kidding. After I finished working on my new song, "Starting Over," this morning, I turned on the TV and there was Latoya Jackson touting her new book, Starting Over.

Strange.

LCK

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blackburn View Post
Gordon Jenkins' (one-time) collaborator (they wrote, P.S. I LOVE YOU) Johnny Mercer loved this lyric by his friend "Gordy."
I love it too. It's quite an amazing song.

Here's Harry Nilsson, with Gordon Jenkins, and orchestra, singing "Nevertheless I'm in Love With You," followed by a bit of banter, and "This Is All I Ask." Yep, that's Gordon Jenkins calling Nilsson Jack, and giving him a hard time.

Sadly, the audio was taken from a television appearance. It's less than stellar.

LCK

• Members

This has ALWAYS (since I first heard Harry Nilsson's A LITTLE TOUCH OF SCHMILSSON IN THE NIGHT recording of this song, in the mid-70s) been my favorite rendition. But I never knew of this video's existence! The novelty of YouTube will never wear off. Thanks so much Lee.

• Members

As I type this, satellite radio is playing one of my favorite songs about the season of love, SPRING CAN REALLY HANG YOU UP THE MOST. It's the 'original' (first-ever) version by a Lady singer, Jackie Cain. Minutes earlier show host Jonathan Schwartz played probably the best reading the song ever got

• Members

I was dancin' with my 'Baby'
to the 'Tennessee Waltz'
when an old friend I happened to see.
Introduced her, to my Loved One,
and while they were waltzing,
my friend stole my sweetheart from me.

I remember the night, and the Tennessee Waltz
and I know just how much I have lost.
I had lost my little Darling
the night they were playing
the beautiful Tennessee Waltz.

• Members

Thanks for the warm welcome Mark. I enjoy reading your posts and the great resource that they are. (I haven't got through all 22 pages of this thread yet.)
You have a broad knowledge of an era that I imbibed when I was growing up, but didn't pay any attention to. My father had a large collection of 78's including the big band era, Bing Crosby, Louis Armstrong, etc.

My mother told me that her memory of my first dalliance with popular song was when I was about 4. I walked around singing with great gusto ; "Put another nickle in.......and with great emphasis on the Music, music, music line. I must have heard it on the radio when it became a hit in 1950.

My first conscious interest in popular music was in 1954 when 'Green Door' was on the radio. That then opened up into Presley et al.
But although the music of my youth was R&R, when I decided to try my hand at songwriting in a serious manner, I knew I had to familiarise myself with the songbook of the 30's and 40's to appreciate the roots of the craft. For although the popular wisdom is that R&R has its roots in the blues, I think that its roots lie just as much in the popular songs of the 30's and 40's. So you can see how I appreciate your rambles and references.

I had to smile when you spelled out 'His latest flame' and 'Little sister'. I remember buying the 78 record when it was released. It used to be one of the stack that dropped on the old record player. When I hear it played today, I'm aware of the absence of the initial 'clunk' of the drop, the 'pop' of the needle engaging, and the soft shhhhh.... before the the energy of the opening riff of 'Little sister' bursts forth. (Nothing wrong with a bit of nostalgia to garnish the present 'drear light of zoo').

But back to the great songwriting duo - Doc & Mort. I have learned so much from listening to the way they structure their songs. 'Can't get used to losing you' is a fine example. I enjoy playing the pizzicato part as a chorded riff on the guitar just as a piece on its own. As far as songs are concerned, I'm a self-confessed structure junkie.

Anyway, must go - I'm beginning to ramble.

• Members
Went in search of the best versions of Fran's best song -- and discovered my new (old) favorite, by Sarah Vaughn, from an album she did with America's King of Strings, Don Costa (called "Snowbound" -- another I've got to get). I was reminded of the extra stanzas including the line about, "Robins -- building nests from coast to coast." This is where we came in. And this is how Fran Landesman should be remembered, wouldn't you agree?

I think Fran Landesman's best song is this one, performed here by Roberta Flack.

The lyric was probably ahead of its time when it was written in 1959 (maybe a year before), but now seems sadly dated.

With that said -- and I'm certainly no expert on gay culture -- I would assume that even with the new gay marriage law in NY, and the increase in gay rights since the 50s, there are still some sad young men out there, and women who are attracted to them...

But never mind. I think this performance by Roberta Flack (who lives in my neighborhood, by the way), is one of the best female vocal performances I've ever heard.

"Misbegotten moon shine for sad young men
let your gentle light guide them home again."

LCK

• Members

Right again, Lee -- not least for their lead singer Elaine "Spanky" McFarlane's inclusion of the poignant opening verse that takes a minute to sing and really sets up the opening words of the chorus, "Once I built a railroad." Yes, Lee -- best version ever! [Their Wiki entry says, simply]

Spanky and Our Gang was an American 1960s folk-rock band led by Elaine "Spanky" McFarlane. The band derives its name from Hal Roach's popular Our Gang comedies of the 1930s (known to modern audiences as The Little Rascals). McFarlane was nicknamed "Spanky" because one of the band members, perhaps influenced by her last name, said that she resembled Our Gang star George "Spanky" McFarland. The group was known for its vocal harmonies.

They used to tell me, I was 'building a dream'
And so I followed the mob.
When there was earth to plow,
or guns to bear, I was always there,
right on the job.
They used to tell me I was building a dream,
with 'Peace & Glory' ahead.
Why should I be standing in line
just waiting for bread?

Once, I built a railroad . . .

Archived