A great melody first, then lyrics,(only) THEN 'vocals'

Mark Blackburn

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Melody/Music then Vocal Meloday then Lyrics. Being a huge fan of classical music, I believe music to transcend words, so that is why I work in that order. Then I feel the song, and an emotional feeling for the lyrics, then I can mold from there. I'm not one for limited phrases or words, so it's not a difficult task once I get to words. Of course once the lyrics come in, that governs the final melisma and rhythm of the vocals.

• Moderators

love it

I love where the last of the 'and rhymes occurs in mid-sentence and the sentence finishes with a setup for another, different rhyme

and, it was grand
just to stand
with his hand holding mine. . .
to the end of the line.

• Members

Love your comments, Lee! (Always do). I also appreciate your latest tag line -- the quote from my namesake Mark Twain: "A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation." Funny thing, I'd just been reading another thread here, and a quote from one of our new members made me recall a personal favorite of his sayings (a paraphrase, from memory):

"When I was 17," (said Twain) "I thought my father was an ass; when I was 24, I was amazed at how much that man had picked up (learned) in just seven years!"

Now why did I come here? Oh yes. Satellite radio a moment ago played my favorite version (sorry Frank) by Peggy Lee of COME BACK TO ME -- a song that will be

• Members

Ah, to be in NYC . . . especially tonight at seven! A friend in Yorkshire England (of all places) provided me with a "Broadway" link to a musical happening "in the park" -- not far from where you are, Lee Charles Kelley (you lucky fellow). To me this would be like the proverbial "Christmas in July" and, to coin a phrase: I'll be home for Christmas, if only in my dreams!

----

"All in Good Time: A Celebration for Jonathan Schwartz" will be held at River to River Festival. Presented by Battery Park City Authority.

WHEN: Wednesday, July 13, 2011, 7:00 pm

WHERE: River to River Festival at Rockefeller Park (River Terrace and Warren Street)

TICKETS: FREE.

http://www.rivertorivernyc.com/event...-and-jessica-m

WHY: John Pizzarelli and Jessica Molaskey host and star in this tribute to Jonathan Schwarz, WNYC and SiriusXM's keeper of the flame of American Popular Song. The lineup features a stellar collection of the world's finest singers and musicians, including Bill Charlap, Meredith D'ambrosio, Tony DeSare, Rebecca Kilgore, Hilary Kole, Jay Leonhart, Tony Monte, Bucky Pizzarelli, and Tierney Sutton.

For more information and a complete schedule of River To River Festival programming, please visit www.RiverToRiverNYC.com.

Read more: http://broadwayworld.com/article/Joh...#ixzz1RzloijMi

• Members

She mentioned that! I wrote that part of the interview down -- didn't know why I bothered; until I read your words, Lee. After mentioning that she'll perform with pianist Bill Charlap "without any time for rehearsal" the satellite radio show host said,

"You're in Geneva tomorrow at four o'clock in the afternoon?"

TIERNEY SUTTON: Well it's just about like that! I have to do a concert in Geneva Switzerland on the weekend; then fly right back: I have to be at Lincoln Center, at DIZZY'S. We arrive back at one o'clock on Tuesday, go through customs, and go straight to our sound check! And I'm hoping I can use Wynton Marsalis' dressing room -- where I can shower. Otherwise," she told Mr. Schwartz with a smile in her voice, "you may find me (when you introduce me on stage) UNshowered and smelling of chocolate & cheese. Straight from Switzerland."

JONATHAN SCHWARTZ: "And I'M the gentleman who will get to say, 'Ladies & Gentlemen . . . Tierney Sutton'."

• Members

There are lots of great modern lyricist. I think the Singer from circa survive has good lyrics or the band Thrice.

Leave out the meaning this time
Let tensions evolve
Intimate groove confused
In childish tantrums
Your feelings were sacrificed
For a greater cause,
and if you forget what you saw, you'll be forgiven.
But there isn't a chance...

That I could do this on my own.
Now our perceptions have grown.
Branches and petals of paper and metal.
Amber tinfoil forest confines us...
And we disconnect like this is the end
we disconnect like this is the end

For everybody else's sake
Set your mental alarm
You think it's safe to rely on
(Let them sleep!)

That I could do this on my...
We do a childish dance.
Your feelings were sacrificed
For a greater cause,
and if you forget what you saw, you'll be forgiven.

Let tensions evolve
Intimate groove confused
In childish tantrums of youth
Let tensions evolve
Intimate groove confused
In childish like you always do

• Members

How funny. It was only about 4 minutes ago when I was poking through the lastest posts in this thread.

And just now I realized that "The Folks Who Live on the Hill" had just come up in my Rhapsody playlist (which currently has 236 tracks in it) -- although by the great Jo Stafford, instead of the redoubtable Ms Lee.

It's a funny world held together by interesting connections.

Archived