DIY Rackmount Effects

undergod12

• Members

I know there are plenty of places that offer various enclosures for making your own stompboxes but does anyone make "blank" rackmount boxes for making your own rackmount effects?

I want to take my Boss Bass Synth pedal and rackmount it in a 1 unit enclosure. I figure it wouldn't be too hard to move the knobs off the circuit board and mont them on the face of the rack box. That way I could space the pots farther apart and use larger knobs so it would be easier to control in real time (I'm re-synthesizing audio through it using an effects send off of my mixer). I'm planning to have the main I/O on the back pannel but to also have another 1/4 input on the front for easier re-patching. I would also like to seperate the stacked frequency/res pot into two seperate pots (I'm always adjusting those two seperately) but that may prove a bit more difficult.

• Members

Originally posted by undergod12

Thanks! I found what I needed at partsexpress.com.

I'm also thinking of housing a simple compressor in the same chassis as the bass synth to improve tracking of audio going into the synth.

I've been looking for blank rackmount enclosures for a while now with no luck. Can you tell me where on PartsExpress you found them?

Thanks.

• Members

I did a search for "rack" and then filtered it by the "Pro Sound Rack Acc" subcategory. They're on the second page of results (when set to 50 results per page). The heavy-duty ones are a bit pricey but the 1U 'Economy' version is pretty good at $37.09

linky poo:

www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=262-440

Next hurdle: how to mount the guts (pc board) in the enclosure so it stays put and doesn't break if the unit gets jostled. My first thought was to nestle it on some strips of packing foam but then I thought of Great White and went "Nah." I'll dig around in my parts bucket to see if I can find some rubber spacers I can use to suspend the pc board from the bottom of the chassis.

Any other (easier) ideas on how I could geth the board secured?

• Members

Originally posted by undergod12

I did a search for "rack" and then filtered it by the "Pro Sound Rack Acc" subcategory. They're on the second page of results (when set to 50 results per page). The heavy-duty ones are a bit pricey but the 1U 'Economy' version is pretty good at $37.09

linky poo:

Next hurdle: how to mount the guts (pc board) in the enclosure so it stays put and doesn't break if the unit gets jostled. My first thought was to nestle it on some strips of packing foam but then I thought of Great White and went "Nah." I'll dig around in my parts bucket to see if I can find some rubber spacers I can use to suspend the pc board from the bottom of the chassis.

Any other (easier) ideas on how I could geth the board secured?

If your board(s) have screw holes, or places to drill screwholes, you can use plastic standoffs. They come in various sizes and can either be stick-on or screw on.

Thanks for the link!

Archived