Technics 1200 Turntables not playing out of one side, Need Help

Ace Dux

• Members

I've noticed that in BOTH of my turntables, one side of the stereo was not playing. I've tried switching cartridges, cleaning the end of them and cleaning inside were the cartridge meets the tone are and only one of them started working again. The other, no dice. I'm thinking it might be the RCA cables and might have to replace them.

I've had my Technics 1200MK3's for 10 years now (i'm the original owner) and for the past couple of years i've not been into djing as much as i was when i was 14. Al tho i've djed christmas and new years partys every year since but i've recently gotten Serato and now excited about djing again. The past couple of years i've been mostly doing CD's and now since i'm moving back to turntables i'm going to be giving them a tune up.

If anyone can help, please give your insight.

Thanks!

• Members

I've noticed that in BOTH of my turntables, one side of the stereo was not playing. I've tried switching cartridges, cleaning the end of them and cleaning inside were the cartridge meets the tone are and only one of them started working again. The other, no dice. I'm thinking it might be the RCA cables and might have to replace them.

I've had my Technics 1200MK3's for 10 years now (i'm the original owner) and for the past couple of years i've not been into djing as much as i was when i was 14. Al tho i've djed christmas and new years partys every year since but i've recently gotten Serato and now excited about djing again. The past couple of years i've been mostly doing CD's and now since i'm moving back to turntables i'm going to be giving them a tune up.

If anyone can help, please give your insight.

Thanks!

At that point it's either the RCA cables or the tone arm.

Question, when you got the one turntable to work on both sides, did you take that needle off and put it on the other?

• Members

Dude, its probably not your decks if its both of them. RCA cables are probably the most common problem with 1200s but it would be odd for both to go out at the same time, expecially if its the same channel on both. Usually, when they start to go bad you can move the cord around a little you'll get full sound back, and if you move it again you'll loose the problem channel. Its just that the wire inside the cable has disconnected. You can do the repair yourself but it takes some soldering. Its not that hard.

I don't think its your cable though, it sounds like a problem with some of your other equipment. It might be as simple as a pan switch, or it could be your mixer or soundcard. It could be a lot of things. You have to try to isolate the problem. Hook your turntable directly into a stereo or another mixer to see if the problem is still there, etc.

• 2 months later...

Archived