Why did Eddie put the reflectors on the back of his guitar?

greg apocalypse

• Members

I saw this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/EVH-VAN-HALEN-FRANKENSTRAT-CORRECT-PATTERN-REFLECTORS-/170491279157?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item27b2127735

and wondered why he did this. The only theory I could come up with is that he did it to see the great lengths EVH nerds would go to just to copy his guitar.

Seriously, is there any other reason? Why would someone put forth THIS MUCH EFFORT?

• Members

I'm friends with one of his techs from the era. We've had numerous discussions about Eddie's gear, from Soldano to resistor banks to mods to car horns. I've gotten a TON of information about Eddies gear over the years, and the one thing that has remained constant is Eddie's willingness to experiment and tinker. He's just never satisfied with how everything is...he is always pushing to make it better. One aspect of this that has always been paramount is Van Halen's stage show. Eddie is always trying to raise the bar of the performance and give the audience a more spectacular show. In an attempt to raise the bar even higher, he found some reflectors at a truck stop and put them on there to reflect stage light in a cool way.