Boss DS-1 vs OS-2 vs MT2

Slaymoar

• Members

The OS2 is cool because you can use the Blend knob to mix OD and distortion...in effect, you can blend the mid-boosted and mid-scooped sounds to get a decent balance that's not overly bassy or too middy.

The DS-1 is probably a better pure OD and the MetalZone is great for sounding like you're in Guitar Center, so it really depends on your application.

• Members

Oh...wait. I totally thought you were talking about the SD-1, not the DS-1.

I can never keep those straight.

Given those options, OD2 by a friggin' mile.

And yes, if you really
want
a DS-1, the OS-2 can get pretty close.

OD2? Or did you mean OS-2?

• Members

Shit I meant MD-2...
:facepalm:

I am a major Boss fan and I can honestly say that the MD-2 is the worst sounding pos I've ever heard. I would get the DS-1, and later I would get a SD-1 to stack in front of it, these two together cover a lot of ground. the DS-1 is easily the most misunderstood maligned pedal ever.

• Members

I am a major Boss fan and I can honestly say that the MD-2 is the worst sounding pos I've ever heard. I would get the DS-1, and later I would get a SD-1 to stack in front of it, these two together cover a lot of ground. the DS-1 is easily the most misunderstood maligned pedal ever.

I can vouch for that. A guy i used to be in a band with used to use one into a single channel jcm800 and his tone was shit. I even set it up as a boost for him and it failed at that as well. :facepalm: I kept nagging him to get an sd1.

I dont like the mt2 either but the MD2 is on a whole different level of suckage (stock anyway)

• Members

the DS-1 is easily the most misunderstood maligned pedal ever.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate it if you explained it to us.

I've never really heard anything good come from it, but if there's a trick to it, hook me up.

• Members

Yeah, fulltone OCD would defeat all your choices there. Why have you limited yourself to those 3 options? I don't think any of them would be that good with the vox.

If you're on a budget I'd definitely chose an SD-1, they work really well with vox amps. I really enjoyed the OD-3 too. If you're going to run the amp clean rather than edge of breakup I'd go OD-3.

If you're on a slightly better budget I'd look for a Rat w/lm308. You can get loads of tones from almost clean through heavy distortion to fuzz with one of those.

• Members

Yeah, fulltone OCD would defeat all your choices there. Why have you limited yourself to those 3 options? I don't think any of them would be that good with the vox.

If you're on a budget I'd definitely chose an SD-1, they work really well with vox amps. I really enjoyed the OD-3 too. If you're going to run the amp clean rather than edge of breakup I'd go OD-3.

If you're on a slightly better budget I'd look for a Rat w/lm308. You can get loads of tones from almost clean through heavy distortion to fuzz with one of those.

I'll look around... I just have some credit in that shop and they have a bunch of vintage gear etc.. including treble boosters - which I might look into as well..

OCD and hotcake both look like great candidates, but they are pretty expensive..

SD-1, I'll see if they have it. OD-3 too. I think they do have a rat, but dont know if its the lm308. How do i even find that out?

• Members

If it's a new Rat, it doesn't unless it's one of their limited edition whiteface rats which are rare and expensive.

If it's an old rat, you take the battery cover and look for the little black chip. If it's got lm308 printed on it, bingo.

But yeah, given a choice between a new rat and an OD-3 I'd go OD-3. Some say the OD-3 is like an OCD in terms of them both being good reasonably flat-eq overdrives. Similar gain ranges too.

• Members

The OCD is a great pedal and versatile. It's really worth a look.

The other Boss pedals are good, you just have to tweak them. The MT-2 is a good pedal, you just have to take time with it and not use too much gain. It is best used with another OD to push it or using it to push the gain channel of your amp. Boss pedals seem to work best when the tone is in the lower range.

• Members

Boss DS1 for me. They're easy to mod and there are many ways you can tweak it for different variations of distortion from smooth to fuzzy. I modded mine using Wampler's Marshall mod. It sounds awesome through the clean channel of my Peavey Triple X and Peavey VTM.:thu:

• Members

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate it if you explained it to us.

I've never really heard anything good come from it, but if there's a trick to it, hook me up.

the "trick" for me is to play it through a loud amp that's on the verge of breakup. if you play it at low volumes through a clean amp and have the distortion knob cranked, yes it will sound like {censored} because all you'll be hearing is clipping diodes.

when played through a loud amp, with the tone knob between 9 0'clock and 11 o'clock, and the distortion knob set at noonish, it will sound awesome.

it doesn't have a midhump, it doesn't darken or cloud your tone, it doesn't suck your bottom end away and most importantly it allows your amp to still be heard.

it's like the plexi of pedals=sounds like {censored} at low volumes but sounds awesome when turned up, gets warmer, thicker, better.

I have about 8 or 9 of them, Keeley, Monte Allums, custom, mij, new stock. the stock ones are even fine, my fave is a stock mij.

I stack a SD-1 in front of it for when I do want a little mid boost, the two work together really well.

I'm not a Kurt Cobain fan but I understand why he used them because when {censored} gets loud they're hard to beat for tight rhythm crunch.

Archived