Mesa Bias Mod?

Ruction11

• Members

Mesa's bias isn't really that cold, most wouldn't notice a huge tonal difference. The 5150 is so cold as to be fizzy and harsh sounding and there's a definite benefit from warming it up a touch.

I've always thought a better version of the bias mod is to simple alter the resistor value to provide a higher idle current level.

• Members

Because mesa wants to sell their tubes as the only viable replacement. So you are stuck looking for "warm" or "hot" tested tubes according to your amp's bias circuitry/plate voltage.

Really, it doesnt matter. Mesas are meant to be on the cool side.

-D

• Members

OK fine, I bought a bias mod KIT from Mansfield Guitars and installed it on my amp and then biased the power tubes at a more normal value (70% of the maximum plate dissipation for that particular type of power tube) which to my ears sounded way better than the cold-biased setting the amp came with from the factory.

• Members

Jerry from FJA mods says the bias mod in the 5150 is {censored} and does it if the client asks for it but he doesn't really thinks the amp "needs" it or "benefits" from it. Something like mud was the word he used.

Anyway, mesa's do it for promoting their own tubes but then again you can actually use other sellers sets for mesa's. Plus they sound fine...what else needs to be said?

Archived