Eminence Texas Heat or Eminence Swamp Thing?

New Trail

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What kind of tone are you looking for? I havent played a texas heat, but the swamp thang is a very dark sounding speaker. Once you get volume behind it, it sounds HUGEHUGEHUGE though.

I'm buying two new speakers to put in an old '60's Fender 2x12 cabinet and run it with a Marshall 100 watt head. I love the sound of a Fender Twin, which are either Eminence speakers or Jensen, but I also like the sound of a Marshall half stack, which is Celestions. I use pedals so I want speakers that can handle a lot of clean power without distorting.

• Members

The Swamp Thang wasn't what I expected at first but it's really not a bad speaker! Really thick on the lows and rolled off in the highs...similar to a Eminence V12 Speaker.

The Texas Heat has a Highs and Lows, that's it...the lack of midrange make it sound very raspy. IMO.

• Members

Wow, it sounds like NEITHER of those speakers would be what I need. Like I said, I want a LOT of power to run in a 2x12 Fender cabinet using a Marshall 100 watt head, and I use pedals for OD and distortion. I prefer to buy from Eminence since they are still made in the U.S.A. What would be a high power Eminence speaker that sounds like a Jensen?

• Members

Wow, it sounds like NEITHER of those speakers would be what I need. Like I said, I want a LOT of power to run in a 2x12 Fender cabinet using a Marshall 100 watt head, and I use pedals for OD and distortion. I prefer to buy from Eminence since they are still made in the U.S.A. What would be a high power Eminence speaker that sounds like a Jensen?

Dude. I ran a 2x12 with these swamps because Im not a fan of speaker break up. Ive run these very speakers with My splawn, 2 Marshals, 3 Engls, 2 Carvins, 4 Peaveys to name a few. All the amps sounded great through them.

• Members

Yes. While it's somewhat helpful, it's really hard to figure out sound comparisons from a chart!

Hmmm, most of their descriptions were accurate to the models I've heard or played through.

Are you looking for something bright? Dark? They make a lot of high power, no breakup speakers, so the EQ is going to be pretty important.

You might want to think about getting a mixed pair, if you're looking for both a twin type sound and a Celestion-style tone in the same cab. One Red Coat, one Patriot.

(Just don't get the Tonker. :lol: )

• Members

The texas heats are super raspy sounding, TONS of sizzle. Not necessarily a bad speaker though, if you're using it with the right head.

Dude, just go with Vintage 30s if you can get over the fact that they arn't US made. I know it's all a matter of opinion, but damn, they are easily the best speakers I can think of for hard rock or metal tones.

• Members

I have a cab that has one of each and it sounds great. The swamp has more mids but less highs. Both have lots of low end. I dont find the texas heat as raspy as many of the celestion speakers I have owned over the years though. i think either one or both would work well. The swamp thang seems to be a better overall speaker, but I really like both.

• Members

my Emi weigh in:

I had the Lil Texas (neo) - hated it. sizzley, nasty.

Swamp thang = awesome. BIG bassy dark

Wizard = loudest speaker I've ever heard. Kind of loud in the mids. Just like an H30

P-50E - awesome.

Red White and Blues = HUGE surprise. They sound solid, smooth, loud, and killer.

• Members

my Emi weigh in:

I had the Lil Texas (neo) - hated it. sizzley, nasty.

Swamp thang = awesome. BIG bassy dark

Wizard = loudest speaker I've ever heard. Kind of loud in the mids. Just like an H30

P-50E - awesome.

Red White and Blues = HUGE surprise. They sound solid, smooth, loud, and killer.

Me wantz. ;)

• Members

If you wanna stick with Eminence and want a mix of American and British style speakers in an old Fender 2x12 that'll handle a 100W Marshall at any volume... you could mix a Swamp Thang or a Red, White and Blue with a Man O War.

I've used this set up for a couple years now... works good for me.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

hey interesting thread, so did you made your choice?

I would do a mix Texas Heat/Swamp Thang if I was you.

I presently have a pair of Wizard 16 in a Sunn 1969 2x12 open-back cab and it can give you the power amp break-up of a pair of JJ KT-88 from a 1969 Sunn Solarus at 7-8...115dB! I use dirt pedal instead to use my 3 heads around 3-4 instead or I won't ear the drum...haha! even at high volume the high stays smooth because a Sunn/Fender amp can get pretty bright for my taste!

I'm willing to get an Avatar G212H 2x12 close-back in black tolex/fender cloth with a pair of Swamp Thang 16 or Texas Heat 16 or a mix of the 2 to blend some more low end punch with the the pair of Wizard 16...and fit with the Sunn look.

Swamp Thang is for pure low end punch or clean, Texas Heat/Wizard have more color to it and are truly a V30 killer for 1/2 the price imo.

and I'm into black, doom and sludge metal! loud is the only way I play!:evil:

Archived