Differences between 5150 block letter & 5150 Signature?

BlackDahliasolo

• Members

no difference, other than perhaps whatever tubes were shipped with the amp stock. At this point, buying used, I'd wager there would be a good chance the tubes have been replaced by this point anyway.

Block letter mysticism is a myth.

• Members

As the title states...

I'm in the process of obtaining a "signature" 5150 in the next two weeks, just wondering if there were any differences I should know about. Also what cab/speaker combo best compliments the 5150? Metal is clearly the choice of tone...

Cheers

Ive owned both and I couldnt tell a difference between the two. Robb Flynn from Machine Head told me that he only likes the block letter version because " as soon as that faggot Eddie Van Halen put his signature , they started sounding like shit" His words not mine. :) I disagree

• Members

There are no differences other than they shipped with different stock tubes and one has EVH and the other has a signature.

I think the matching cab is a great choice for the amp. Vader cabs are awesome. Get some high gain complimentary speakers. I really like the amp with eminence legends or celestion k100s so far. Got some delta pros that Ill be trying out next week.

• Members

Ive owned both and I couldnt tell a difference between the two. Robb Flynn from Machine Head told me that he only likes the block letter version because " as soon as that faggot Eddie Van Halen put his signature , they started sounding like shit" His words not mine.
:)
I disagree

Good lord, Robb Flynn is a noob?!?!?!

• Members

And how would you compare the 6505 to the previous 5150 series?

BTW, I just got a pair of Peavey TripleX cabs for my 6505 and they sound quite good. I prefer them to the Marshall 1960A I have. I can't wait to really cranck up these new cabs.

• Members

Well truth be told I'll toy with the 5150 for a few months, but I've got every intention of sending it down to FJA for some mods, so the street cred thing I'm not to concerned about as I can completely change the face plate or tolex if I'd like, my main concern was that electronically they had minimal, if any differences between them...

• Members

There are no differences other than they shipped with different stock tubes and one has EVH and the other has a signature.

I think the matching cab is a great choice for the amp
. Vader cabs are awesome. Get some high gain complimentary speakers. I really like the amp with eminence legends or celestion k100s so far. Got some delta pros that Ill be trying out next week.

Agreed, I love the 6505 412. In fact, I kept the stock speakers in it and don't think I'll change them. I've heard V 30's and they don't keep the amp as "dirty" as the Sheffields.

• Members

And how would you compare the 6505 to the previous 5150 series?

BTW, I just got a pair of Peavey TripleX cabs for my 6505 and they sound quite good. I prefer them to the Marshall 1960A I have. I can't wait to really cranck up these new cabs.

6505=5150. Only difference is the label.

I gotta say that I dont get all the love for the 1960 cab with this amp. The 6505 cab sounds SOOOOO much better with it, that I really cant see how anyone could see differently. I foundt he 1960 to sound very dull and thin compared to the 6505 cab.

I doubt Ill even swap out the sheffields. The cab just sounds good with the amp stock. Period. I dont get all the hate for the 6505 cabs, and I doubt any one that heard my rig would say differently...

• Members

Thanks rbasaria... I wish I could have tried the 6505 cabs but I got 2 brand new TripleX cabs for the same price of a new 6505 cab, so I jumped on it. Only my long term experience with them will let me know if I did a good choice. Up to now, I'm happy but I can't wait to really push them with some volume.

• Members

Hey Chris, how are you liking that FJA 6505 buddy?

Yo,

It's really nice. I'd say it's an improvement. There is more note seperation and more clarity overall. It's not a HUGE difference. it's still the same amp, just cleaned up a bit. It also has the built in gate.

Still love the amp in it's stock form though.

Archived