Stanton STR8 vs. Technics 1200

Thanaan

• Members

There have been several models within Stanton's STR8 line, which are you considering? Also, I assume that you'll be using this for scratching? If not, a turntable with a straight arm probably isn't the best choice.

It's basically going to come down to extra controls & features that are available on the Stanton but come at the expense of having a turntable without the implicit reliability and quality of the Technics. Which is more important is a question only you can answer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Thinking of buying a pair of Stanton's but then again, the Technics seem oh-so tempting. What do you guys think?

No comparison. Go with the Technics.

While the Str8 series from Stanton are decent, the 1200's have better resale values and can be repaired a little more easily.

• Members

Although the Tech's usually have a higher resale value... (compared to most brands)

I've been finding more and more DJ's w/ STR8-150 which are probably the heaviest / most durable table yet.. not to mention a few extra bells and whistles if you're into that.. besides the ability to simply change the RCA cables instead of repair kinda makes it more appealing that 12's

just my 0.02 centz..

try them in a store but don't compare the cheapest Numark/Stanton to the 12's :lol:

• Members

Although the Tech's usually have a higher resale value... (compared to most brands)

I've been finding more and more DJ's w/ STR8-150 which are probably the heaviest / most durable table yet.. not to mention a few extra bells and whistles if you're into that.. besides the ability to simply change the RCA cables instead of repair kinda makes it more appealing that 12's

just my 0.02 centz..

try them in a store but don't compare the cheapest Numark/Stanton to the 12's
:lol:

But the tonearm assemblies are nowhere near the quality of the 1200's and, to me, that's a huge thing.

I found that a lot of these companies that come out with their high end turntables with really high torque motors and extra bells and whistles usually come up short in the actual construction of the table itself.

• Members

But the tonearm assemblies are nowhere near the quality of the 1200's and, to me, that's a huge thing.

I found that a lot of these companies that come out with their high end turntables with really high torque motors and extra bells and whistles usually come up short in the actual construction of the table itself.

If you want high-torque near instant starts - use your fingers to help it.

Also some of them have problems with hard braking too and can bounce back a litttle.

Archived