GREENBACKS AND G12K100'S - Just heard my Peters Gryphon through these speakers...

firejack018

• Members

Holy shnizzle! Clips coming soon. :thu:

Just spent the afternoon at Cron's place (fellow HCAF forumite) playing around with our amps through his speaker cabs. He had 2 Mesa 4x12's with V30's, a Marshall 4x12 with Greenbacks and a Marshall 4x12 with G12K100's.

All the cabs sounded great, but the best cab for my tastes was the Greenback cab.

Sounded just about perfect to me for cleans and high-gain.

The next best IMO was the G12K100 cab.

I've never tried these speakers before, and I have to say I was mighty impressed by what I was hearing.

This was Cron's favorite cab with my Gryphon.

I had my Zoom H4n recorder with me, and we managed to record over an hours worth of audio.

As soon as I get some time to sift through the clips, I'll post them up.

:)

• Members

Told you so. :poke:

I love my Orange cab with Greenbacks. Something about driving these speakers nice and hard makes me {censored}ing wet. They just ooze tone with such a delicious mid-range. The raw, uncompressed Chimera opens these speakers like 17 year old legs around Curtis.

I've recently acquired a Marshall with G12t-75s and I actually like it mixed with V30s as well.

• Members

The Celestion G12K-100 is a Celestion G12T-75 bumped up by 25W. Check the specs. Subtle differences - the magnet is slightly larger (DUH extra output) and the physical depth is slightly deeper.

No. The G12T100 (Hot100) is the 100W version of the T75. A K100 sounds nothing like a T75.

• Members

Fellow greenback lover here. :wave:

They are perfect for me as well, very pleasing speakers to play on. Thick and soft with all the right touches from clean to mid gain all the way up to aggressive metal, but the lower the tuning the more the thick sponginess can start to turn to mud with high gain if you aren't careful.

• Members

Isn't the K more of a G12-80 meets V30-ish, sort of? It's kind of flat but with some bite in the high mids.

No idea really. It's pretty flat but it has this very distinct midrange thing going on. Afaik it's the new version of the now discontinued G12H100.

• Members
As a Greenback noob...which model is everyone referring to? G12M or G12H?

I would say you're not, but most people erroneously refer to the G12M as Greenback. I would call this fellow M Greenback, or M-weight Greenback, which would be more correct - but that's just me.

• Members

Firejack, if you like the greenbacks, you should give the heritage 65's a listen. They're basically 65 watt greenbacks.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Celestion-G1265-Heritage-65-Watt-Guitar-Speaker?sku=660023

A slightly less expensive choice is the Scumbacks. They're built to old school pre-rola greenback celestion specs.

• Members

Firejack, if you like the greenbacks, you should give the heritage 65's a listen. They're basically 65 watt greenbacks.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Celestion-G1265-Heritage-65-Watt-Guitar-Speaker?sku=660023

A slightly less expensive choice is the Scumbacks. They're built to old school pre-rola greenback celestion specs.

As I stated in some other thread somewhere, I {censored}ing love these speakers. I have a hard time deciding which I like more, these or the Heritage Greenbacks. They have the same basic Greenback-ish voicing but with a more solid bottom end and the peaks and valleys in a Greenbacks frequency curve smoothed over a little bit. Very refined sounding speakers, my amp tech has an old Marshall 4x12 with a quad of the original G12-65's in it and I swear to I will have to pry it from his cold dead hands. EVERYTHING sounds amazing through that cab. :love:

• Members

I'd like to hear one side by side with a 65 watt scumback to see how close Jim came to hitting the old pre-rola sound... (though I know that these heritage speakers aren't pre-rolas, I think they are basically built just like em.)

does celestion actually even still build speakers over in England?? or are they all made in china now?

• Members

I'd like to hear one side by side with a 65 watt scumback to see how close Jim came to hitting the old pre-rola sound... (though I know that these heritage speakers aren't pre-rolas, I think they are basically built just like em.)

does celestion actually even still build speakers over in England?? or are they all made in china now?

The Heritage and Alnicos are still made in England I believe, everything else is MIC.

• Members

Thanks for the tip mate. :thu:

I didn't like the WGS ET65 though, so if they are anything like those then I might pass.

The Greenback sounded far better than the ET65 to my ears.

• Members

Get them here- http://www.gabkits.com/celestion-speakers and they're $156 each for the heritage 65's, just have to do the email thing to access the "special pricing". $95 each for V30's, H30's and Greenbacks too.:thu:

Archived