Amp Sustain Fizzling/crackling when ringing out...???

Johansolo

• Members

Noticed that my amp/speaker cab is having a fizzle out/slight cracking when chords and/or certain notes are played to one after the other and cascaded/let ring out.

It happens on both humbucker and single coil guitars and the amp/speaker cab has never done this before.

Amp is a 30W EL84 Framus with matching 2x12 (greenback and V30)

its driving me nuts now as im fixated on this fizzle out. Its not noticeable when youre actually playing lead/rhythm

• Members

Are you sure it hasn't been there all along? I noticed this on mode 2 (mid gain) of my Einstein and took it to my tech. He found absolutely nothing wrong with it :idk:.

If it's anything like what I had problems with, try turning the gain up. This seems to make the noise less noticable. Unless you only have one gain channel and want mid-gain.. then might have to just deal with it. It bothered me a bit a while ago, but when playing with others it's not noticeable in my experience so meh.

• Members

Does the clean channel sound fine when you really crank it?

For me, slight distortion or crackling on note tailout has always meant a dying tube, but it could be a poor connection somewhere, including a tube socket or a speaker connection. I know you said you changed all the tubes, but if the clean channel really has no problem and it's only on the gain channel, I'd still suspect a preamp tube or tube socket.

• Members

Does the clean channel sound fine when you really crank it?

For me, slight distortion or crackling on note tailout has always meant a dying tube, but it could be a poor connection somewhere, including a tube socket or a speaker connection. I know you said you changed all the tubes, but if the clean channel really has no problem and it's only on the gain channel, I'd still suspect a preamp tube or tube socket.

im hoping its a preamp tube. im gonna spend some more time tonight going through each preamp position.

i didnt try the clean channel cranked...it has a good breakup tone so will have to give it a shot later today.

• Members

If you find that it actually also does it on tailouts on the clean channel too, I'd suspect your power tubes. That's what mine always do when they are worn out. They start having noticeably lower output but still sound good, and then about two months later the distortion when low notes ring out begins. It could be your old power tubes you swapped in were already at that stage.

• Members

It sounds like you may have some dust in those tube sockets. Spray some contact cleaner on your tube pins and put them in and pull them out 4-5 times and you should be to go
:thu:

Btw, I had the same exact problem in my old Marshalls and it did the trick everytime.

actually...i did notice some dust when i had my torch on it...and i do need some more electrical contact cleaner.

i should retube this amp with a fresh anway...its around that time...

• Members

so after trying another set of tubes and contact cleaner...with no luck.

im starting to think it may be the speakers/cab.

ive heard that overtightening the screws may cause the speaker frame to warp/be the issue? but too loose it may bad too(duh)

since ive already loosened hte screws and rotated the speakers...think it may be worth a tighten?

i hand tightened them and then use an allen key to do a 1/4 to half turn in x pattern...

should i go tighter?

Archived