DJ Setup Suggestions

In the Fade

• Members

hey guys. i feel kinda bad asking this cause i know that this forum is made up of people asking the same basic questions but here i go.

i am seriously interested in getting a decent dj rig setup. i have a mac book pro and i've settled on getting serato scratch live. i'm just unsure about the hardware.

i'm looking at the pioneer CDJ-800MK2's to use as controllers and cd decks? (will this work)

i dont really have any ideas on a mixer. i want something relatively basic but very capable. i dont mind spending money on something worth while but i dont necessarily need top of the line professional equipment.

i just want a reliable and powerful rig that is suffient for 99% of the sets i would be playing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Yes, you can use the CDJ-800MK2 for a Serato controller using the time-coded cd's. Never tried it myself but this is a pretty good option from what I understand.

Before anyone can recommend a mixer we need to know a little more about what you'll be doing. Mostly, do you need good scratch performance or are you just looking for a good straight up mixing tool?

Also, if you could give a ballpark figure of how much you're willing to spend on the mixer it would be easier to give suggestions. There are good values to be had in most price ranges but it's a long list to narrow down without answering the two questions above.

• Members

i'd mostly be doing straight up mixing, but i'd like to not be limited to such. i'd like to be able to do a bit of scratching once i get a bit more comfortable.

as for ballpark figures, i'd say around $800 max. any good values below my max would be appreciated though.

thanks for the response!

• Members

i'd mostly be doing straight up mixing, but i'd like to not be limited to such. i'd like to be able to do a bit of scratching once i get a bit more comfortable.

as for ballpark figures, i'd say around $800 max. any good values below my max would be appreciated though.

thanks for the response!

Wait, you are saying that you would go up to $800 on a DJ mixer? You have several options available to you at that price range and some high quality ones at that.

• Members

That is a nice piece of advice.. will help me for my upcoming gig...

Wish me good luck.. hope I will be good on it.

Yes, you can use the CDJ-800MK2 for a Serato controller using the time-coded cd's. Never tried it myself but this is a pretty good option from what I understand.

Before anyone can recommend a mixer we need to know a little more about what you'll be doing. Mostly, do you need good scratch performance or are you just looking for a good straight up mixing tool?

Also, if you could give a ballpark figure of how much you're willing to spend on the mixer it would be easier to give suggestions. There are good values to be had in most price ranges but it's a long list to narrow down without answering the two questions above.

• Members

That is a nice piece of advice.. will help me for my upcoming gig...

Wish me good luck.. hope I will be good on it.

You'll be totally fine using the CDJ-800's with Serato. A bunch of our customers already use them for Serato and have no complaints. Plus, Rane actually puts the wav file of their time coded CD's on their site that you can download for free and burn to a disc.

• Members

do you plan to also mix cd's? otherwise this seems like a needlessly expensive way to mp3 dj when you can just get serato itch ( http://www.serato.com/itch ) or traktor and a midi controller for it to not have to lug around ridiculously expensive cd decks (nice as they may be) and only bring the laptop and said controller/interface around with you and just control it with that.

i'd only use serato scratch if i were needing to actually scratch mp3's live and or mix with vinyl and or cd's.

• Members

Have a look at NI Traktor 3 (now Pro) and a Vestax VCI-100 controller - excellent combo and opens up all sorts of interesting variations on a set as you dont have to worry about the technicalities as much and instead focus more on being creative with the tracks you are playing.

Its a good solid and precise controller - unlike most of the nasty plastic spongey crap on the market.

Archived