Bedroom practice - amp placement

IbanezJon

• Members

Currently have a 2x12 which I am using for practice at home. I'm going to be rearranging the room around (for other reasons) and just wanted to know your opinions on placement.

Should I be trying to set up to sit infront of it, or off to the side? The main question though, is how far away is the best position for low-medium volume practice. At the moment I sit only 3-4 feet away right infront.

Would 5-8 feet be better? And also is it better to elevate it or have it on the (wooden floor).

Is having it in a corner of a room bad? I know alot of this is preference, but any of your experiences could help me. I am not saying "plz make the cops stop knocking on my door" just trying to get a better tone. I am guessing sitting so close wouldn't be good for the ears.

Any advice from the veteren players would be useful, thanks.

• Members

It's currently at chest level while sitting. It seems ok. Mainly unsure if I should be as close to it as possible, or as far away from it as possible. Seems like the frequencies spread out more the futher away you are, but you also need to turn the volume up a tad.

• Members

Currently have a 2x12 which I am using for practice at home. I'm going to be rearranging the room around (for other reasons) and just wanted to know your opinions on placement.

Should I be trying to set up to sit infront of it, or off to the side? The main question though, is how far away is the best position for low-medium volume practice. At the moment I sit only 3-4 feet away right infront.

Would 5-8 feet be better? And also is it better to elevate it or have it on the (wooden floor).

Is having it in a corner of a room bad? I know alot of this is preference, but any of your experiences could help me. I am not saying "plz make the cops stop knocking on my door" just trying to get a better tone. I am guessing sitting so close wouldn't be good for the ears.

You are way overthinking this.:rolleyes:

• Members

3.45 +/- .01 feet off the ground at a distance of 5 feet and 5.4 inches away from the center of your ears. Use the Pythagorean formula to determine angle to intersect the focus of the speakers to line up exactly with the center of your head.

Do not deviate or it will sound like absolute {censored}.

• Members

You are way overthinking this.
:rolleyes:

Overall I agree with this. Just stick it where it fits (thats what she said) and go with it. You can move around if you feel you need to, but I dont think room placement is gonna have too much effect on tone.

• Members

3.45 +/- .01 feet off the ground at a distance of 5 feet and 5.4 inches away from the center of your ears. Use the Pythagorean formula to determine angle to intersect the focus of the speakers to line up exactly with the center of your head.

Do not deviate or it will sound like absolute shit.

Marry me... nao! :cop:

• Members

I practice with my main rig, which is a 1/2 stack so elevating the cab is not an option. To me the most important thing is have the amp where I can easily reach the knobs to adjust the tone and/or easily throw a mic in front of it if I want to record. The tonal aspect of it is not important for home jamming. Just set the amp wherever is more comfortable to you and eq the amp accordingly.

• Members

+1 to this. Just plug in, turn on and rock out. I use to worry about how bad my amp sounded when practicing in the bed room. Once I got to band practice where I had plenty of room to keep the amp from walls, beds, desk and being able to actually turn it up it would always sounds 10 times better. Do not worry about it.

• Members

Thanks for your help.

Fuckstick. Rolleyes makes you look like a highschool girl.

I'm rearranging everything in the room either way. Thought it'd be a good time to see if there are any better options. It's not like I'm unhappy with how it sounds already.

• Members

I practice with my main rig, which is a 1/2 stack so elevating the cab is not an option. To me the most important thing is have the amp where I can easily reach the knobs to adjust the tone and/or easily throw a mic in front of it if I want to record. The tonal aspect of it is not important for home jamming. Just set the amp wherever is more comfortable to you and eq the amp accordingly.

Yeah this makes sense. I've always had my amps knobs within reach. Having to get up would be a pain. Cheers.

• Members

Thanks for your help.

Fuckstick. Rolleyes makes you look like a highschool girl.

I'm rearranging everything in the room either way. Thought it'd be a good time to see if there are any better options. It's not like I'm unhappy with how it sounds already.

Is this better? angry-smiley-021.gif

Archived