If a buyer files a dispute can Paypal take money from your bank account

GCDEF

• Members

Wow, I honestly was not trying to take sides one way or the other. I was just trying to let eveyone know how PayPal makes their decisions (and where their rules are: User Agreement). I was just hoping to give some info so people could avoid issues. If you'd rather avoid issues by not using PayPal; that's totally cool too.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Thank you.

The problem with your theory is you're not really putting the buyer and seller back where they started, as the seller will have lost out on other offers in the auction process and will have to start over.

• 9 years later...
  • Members

Someone bought a guitar case for me based on pictures I had posted on a forum. and they contacted me I never offered or had thought of selling the case . Before they bought it, right before they bought it, they asked for additional pictures and then within 30 seconds they contacted me again and said it’s ok I think the case is authentic I’ll buy it. Once they received the case they decided that it was not authentic and they wanted to return it. I have had a number of reputable people look at it in the past and they have all said that in their opinion it was authentic. Since it was in “as is” sale and since they decided they did not want additional pictures my opinion is that it’s their case. But I agreed to take it back anyways. Once I agreed to do that I never heard back from the buyer and I finally had to call PayPal and ask them what to do. The representative said that if I had not heard back from them within a week from my last email then I was entitled to keep the money. I never heard back from them I waited a week and then I kept the money. I left my home in the city because of the COVID-19 virus and I have not been back since, and nobody else lives there. Then I get a text saying that they wanted to know the status of the refund since the case had been sent back to me. I explained that I had been gone for a week before the case supposedly had been delivered, and obviously I never received it. So basically the seller never contacted me as to how, or when, or where they were returning the guitar case and they never sent me any type of tracking number. I still have not been back to my home and apparently  they sent the case back without signature required. At that point I told the buyer that unfortunately I was not going to give him any money back whatsoever. I thought I had been a good guy when I agreed to take the case back even though it’s only his opinion that it wasn’t authentic, he did not respond in the timeframe that PayPal told me was needed, and obviously there is no record of anybody signing for it. So then he called me a rip off artist, said that I scammed him and that he was going to file a dispute. And I was fine with that and I still am because I don’t see where I did anything wrong. What do you think guys? PayPal has put a hold on my account but since there is no money in my account there is a negative balance. Thanks in advance for anybody’s time and opinion.

• Moderators

You are in no way at fault, unless you had posted the case for sale as 'authentic' [whatever that means] and it was not, but that does not appear to be the case here.

This is a perfect 'caveat emptor' case where the buyer either made an incorrect assumption or suffered 'buyer's remorse', neither of which is grounds for a dispute...IMHO.

Beyond that, even though you were gracious enough to agree to the return/refund, the buyer waited beyond the return period specified by the intermediary [PayPal]. They also failed to advise you of the shipment, send you tracking information on the return, or to specify a signature was required. They can try to retrieve the 'package' via their shipper, assuming it is where the shipper left it, but I don't think you have any obligations.

• 11 months later...
  • Members

Hi all

a friend sold an item to a buyer in America for $26500 - the buyer asked to pay in two parts because of account limits $20,000 and $6500. The item was received - he has tracking information and a screen shot from the buyer (the buyer also posted the item in use on social media). The buyer has then gone to his bank and said the $6500 was a fraudulent payment, PayPal have sided with the bank.

He has co tasted action fraud and will document all the information together. While he’s going through this process, can PayPal take the $6500 from his linked bank account?

many thanks 

• 7 months later...
  • Members

If PayPal takes money from your PayPal account and puts it in the negative to recoup costs from a Credit Card chargeback but it's still within the 45 day period for disputes, can we still effectively take PayPal to Small Claims Court for taking money from me to recoup costs from the chargeback?  Since that Chargeback is between PayPal and the Credit card company, not me.  So what's the best way for me to prevent it from hitting my credit?  Not that my credit is great, it's in the mid 500's at best, so I'm not getting approved for anything for at least a few years.  Was considering bankruptcy since it would actually help me credit-wise and they have nothing they could take from me in the Chapter 7 bankruptcy, so I'd essentially wipe out all $30k of debt right there which I have no way of paying for since I'm disabled from back pain for the foreseeable future... So... Do I wait 2 or 3 years for the stuff to just come off my credit report (except the PayPal $1700 collection will be there for 7 full years from today) or just file bankruptcy so I can start enjoying better credit right away? No more {censored}ty interest rates on auto loans and such

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 10/30/2021 at 9:44 AM, TH4T6UYY0UKN0W said:

If PayPal takes money from your PayPal account and puts it in the negative to recoup costs from a Credit Card chargeback but it's still within the 45 day period for disputes, can we still effectively take PayPal to Small Claims Court for taking money from me to recoup costs from the chargeback?  Since that Chargeback is between PayPal and the Credit card company, not me.  So what's the best way for me to prevent it from hitting my credit?  Not that my credit is great, it's in the mid 500's at best, so I'm not getting approved for anything for at least a few years.  Was considering bankruptcy since it would actually help me credit-wise and they have nothing they could take from me in the Chapter 7 bankruptcy, so I'd essentially wipe out all $30k of debt right there which I have no way of paying for since I'm disabled from back pain for the foreseeable future... So... Do I wait 2 or 3 years for the stuff to just come off my credit report (except the PayPal $1700 collection will be there for 7 full years from today) or just file bankruptcy so I can start enjoying better credit right away? No more {censored}ty interest rates on auto loans and such

I'm sorry, but your question is beyond the scope of this discussion forum. You should talk to a credit expert, not a bunch of musicians.:wave: