I want to be a DJ...

OrangeLazarus

• Members

...I want to make people dance. I have a mac book pro with a fairly substantial music collection on it. Now, what do I get? (software, hardware, blah blah blah)

I know this is a REALLY vague, broad question. But I figure I'll get a better answer from you guys than some asshole at guitar center...

Thanks in advance.

• Members

this are some guide to you...

Being a DJ means using DJ equipment to maximize the smooth transition between tracks:

* you need to maintain the right level of energy

* keep people dancing all night

* don't cheese out the hardcore crowd

* don't play too hard and annoy the ladies

* try to avoid blowing up the sound system (going from very loud to permanent silence isn't clever)

• Members

Budget's about $500. I literally know nothing about the gear. All I'm going from is assumptions that I've based on seeing several DJs spin locally around Nashville. What I'm thinking I should get is some kind of controller that controls a DJ program that has all of my music on my laptop. Am I right?

• Members

I'm very interested in this aswell, so if anybody can tell us...

I know you need a MIXER (WRONG, see edit: like a PA right?)

a turntable (to do all the fancy scratching)

and that's the basic set-up (plus add tons of music from various sources, depending on your other hardware you can use directly from the iPod, from a laptop etc... you also need a mic to go 'yeye lets dance and {censored}' and headphones to hear better whats going on.

Edit: Oh', I'm sorry, the PA is the speaker part.. so

• Members

wow. I guess NOT a lot of people hang out here...

mayb I should've gone to guitar center.

You're right about the first part, but guitar center is not where you want to go to learn about DJ gear.

The big question for you is whether you want to work only off your laptop or go for the actual turntables & mixer setup. Just by adding software (like Traktor for instance) you can use your laptop to perform staple dj functions like beat matching, mixing, and effects and come out spending less than your $500. There are tons of other dj software offerings in all price ranges, some of which even offer a little scratching but I wouldn't recommend trying to scratch without an external deck, the mouse is not nearly as precise as the hand.

Also on that note, there are a few programs out there that will let you play time coded cd's/vinyl on traditional decks so you can still use traditional inputs to play digital music on your computer, but buying all that would put you well over your budget. There have been a few threads about different programs available for djing, search back through old posts for more information on those. While the software won't give you the same control that a turntable will, if you've never used either it probably won't make a difference to you.

• Members

Hi TAF.

I don't browse the DJ Booth a lot these days. It used to be a decent place until the haters invaded and chased off most of the active members. I think 6ft, Manipulate and I are the only regulars left.

Yes, I'm in Malaysia but I lived in the States for 15 years. I've got a friend who DJs in Nashville once in a while.

Now for the gear. If you just want to give it a try without a lot of commitment, then I suggest suggest a simple (not necessarily cheap or low quality) set-up like controllers that you can use with your laptop. Have a look at some of these links:

http://www.cortex-pro.com/company.php

http://www.prodigyfx.com/start.html

http://www.denondj.com/prodview_cat.asp?cid=4

http://www.pioneerprodj.com/dj-equipment/cd/mep-7000.asp

Some are all in one solutions (mixer and players) and others require additional gear. Keep in touch with us here if you have more questions.

V.

Archived