Pups for Ibanez S series guitars?

My_Darkest_Hour

• Members

I've been looking around for a few months as to what i should put in my S470 and S770. I'm a little low budget at the moment, so i don't want to have to go through a whole lot of trial and error, so i come to you guys, as i haven't been on this site for some time. I love Killswitch and All That Remains tone, but my biggest concern is to how thin the guitar is.

EMG's seem to have a love/hate relationship on here, maybe Evo's? Has anyone tried the new Petrucci Liquifire and Crunch Lab?

FWIW, amp being used is a VHT Ultra-Lead

• Members

i've had emg's in 2 s series guitars and they sit the mahogany body for that kind of music.

Evo's not so much, not bad but they suit alder and basswood much better.

The liquifire and crunch lab are smoother and less gain "freakout" sounding... i'd choose them for basswood if I was doing instrumentals or something with more variation.

If you'd like to go passive on them i'd suggest a Dimarzio X2n, super distortion. Seymour Duncan full shred, dimebucker, or custom custom.

If you wanna spend more there Is always the boutique area (well not always more money).

• Members

My buddies have Evo's in his RG, they're great pickups.

Very versatile.

RG's are mostly basswood, though the RG520's with quilted tops have mahogany bodies. All S guitars are mahogany.

As for pickups, I've had JB/Jazz, Evo's, and EMG's in my Sabers. Of them all, I liked the EMG's best.

• Members

I was actually pondering the other day about what I was going to put in my quilt top RGTFM. It's had the stock pickups for far longer than I'd like to admit. I have a cheap Duncan design JB copy that I pulled out of a Jackson a long time ago, and was wondering if it would be noticeable over the {censored}ty Inf 2 in there. Can anyone comment to that effect? It's not a ton of effort for me to swap it, but didn't wanna do it if there wasn't going to be any real change to spoken of.

When I get some cash, I'm thinking Duncan Distortion, or maybe even Dimebucker. I had actually swapped the design out of the Jackson for the Dime, and loved it. Unfortunately, I sold the guitar with the pickup in it.

• Members

I've been looking around for a few months as to what i should put in my S470 and S770. I'm a little low budget at the moment, so i don't want to have to go through a whole lot of trial and error, so i come to you guys, as i haven't been on this site for some time. I love Killswitch and All That Remains tone, but my biggest concern is to how thin the guitar is.

EMG's seem to have a love/hate relationship on here, maybe Evo's? Has anyone tried the new Petrucci Liquifire and Crunch Lab?

FWIW, amp being used is a VHT Ultra-Lead

Check out BG pickups.

The Crunch Lab is real good too.

Archived