SD Invaders and different polepieces...

Spaced Out Ace

• Members

Posted over at Seymour Duncan but thought I'd ask you guys as well...

Anyone know the differences between the black invader screws, the chrome ones like Syn Gates uses and the type that are in the Full Shred and one coil of the Screamin' Demon? If I mixed two types, such as the Full Shred type with the invader screws in the other, what would be the difference tonally in one coil vs the other? Similar to a D Sonic with the bar towards the neck or bridge...

Also, if I called Seymour Duncan, could I buy some of both from them?

What say you, O mighty HCAF?

• Members

EDIT:

Actually, the coil is the same as JB/Distortion. The magnet spacers and screws of the Invader make it different from a Distortion. And according to SD's user forums, the Detonater is an Asian made Distortion with Invader screws, and somewhere between the two in bass response and tightness.

Hasn't happened yet. I'm gonna wait until next month, because I think my aunt is giving me $$$ for Xmas. I need a switch and some basic wiring kits.

I'll have to find me some pole pieces and try that on my invaders. I think I got a distortion around here.

• Members

I'll have to find me some pole pieces and try that on my invaders. I think I got a distortion around here.

The bores are too big for standard pieces like on the Distortion. However, a Dimarzio Super Distortion's pole pieces are supposed to be the right size. Thinking about it now, I think they meant the Super III.

• Members

EDIT:

Actually, the coil is the same as JB/Distortion. The magnet spacers and screws of the Invader make it different from a Distortion. And according to SD's user forums, the Detonater is an Asian made Distortion with Invader screws, and somewhere between the two in bass response and tightness.

Hasn't happened yet. I'm gonna wait until next month, because I think my aunt is giving me $$$ for Xmas. I need a switch and some basic wiring kits.

Thats weird, I have never heard that. I knew the JB/DD has the same coil with different magnets, but I thought the Invader was totally different...

• Members

The bores are too big for standard pieces like on the Distortion. However, a Dimarzio Super Distortion's pole pieces are supposed to be the right size. Thinking about it now, I think they meant the Super III.

Probably why to me the Dimarzio Super Distortion sounds similar to the Invader. Except the Invader is thicker.

Archived