Pre-amp out? what does it do?

Ianasauras

• Members

When you have an amp in a headshell it's a complete assembly, two power sections comprise the amp's individual tone, one being the power amp section, the other being the preamp section.

The preamp out allows you to isolate that specific power section and apply it to something else in chain, like a mixer to run into a PA for example, or into a power amp to create a different blend of tones.

• Members

In most amps, the preamp out is the preamp signal BEFORE the master volume. It's usually no different from the effects send except that the effects send is attenuated by the master volume. So if you want to go straight to a board (with impulses of course) and you use the effect send then you have to crank the master volume way up to get a proper signal level to the board. You can instead go from the preamp out and get the full unattenuated signal. You should be aware that many amps put out much more than line level from the preamp (+10db), so you'll need to first go into a mixer to bring this signal down before you hit the sound card.

• Members

I wouldn't do that if you hold either of those amps dear. Furthermore, if all you want to do is get amp A and amp B to both play through the same cab, then google "radial engineering", they make a slew of products for switching heads, cabs, heads and cabs, guitars, etc etc.

• Members

ah ok..... could i route it into another guitar amp head? for instance set it up: Guitar -> Bugera -> peavey Valveking -> cab? and if so would the fact that the bugera is 120watt and the vk 100 watt make any difference?

Yes, if you want to use the power section of the VK with the Bugera. HOWEVER!!! The Bugera still has to be hooked up to a cab or load box and you will use the FX Return of the VK.

So your set up would be:

Bugera speaker out -> cab 1.

Bugera preamp out -> VK FX Return

VK Speaker out -> cab 2

This way, the pre amp of your Bugera will control both power amps for a total of 220w in stereo (2 cabs)

• Members

ah ok..... could i route it into another guitar amp head? for instance set it up: Guitar -> Bugera -> peavey Valveking -> cab? and if so would the fact that the bugera is 120watt and the vk 100 watt make any difference?

Yes you can use the preamp of one amp with the poweramp of another amp this way. You do NOT want to run the preamp out into the front end of the second amp though. Your second amp will need either a poweramp in or an effects return and you want to run into that.

• 9 years later...
  • Members
15 hours ago, Elvis1357 said:

My Roland Cube 60 Orange guitar amp. has a Pre-Out and Main In connection at the back. As it is more than 30 plus years old with no Manual, I don't what they are for?

Think of it as an effect loop. Pre amp out to the the effect in, effect out to main in. See, simple. 

And welcome to the forum. When in doubt, read.

• Members
On 7/13/2020 at 7:03 PM, Elvis1357 said:

My Roland Cube 60 Orange guitar amp. has a Pre-Out and Main In connection at the back. As it is more than 30 plus years old with no Manual, I don't what they are for?

Hi and welcome to the Forums. :wave: I'm a Roland amp owner myself. Mine is a Cube 80XL. The electronic part of your amp is in two parts: The preamp with the the eq controls like bass and treble, built-in effects, like reverb. And the power amp that actually boosts the signal from your amp to the level that will drive speakers so you can hear it. Pre-Out/Main In is between the two. If there's nothing connected there the two are connected by default. As badpenguin said, it's where you might put some--but not all--of your effects. Some need to go before the eq controls, between your guitar and amp.

Archived